Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Rinvyle
Area: 292.21 acres / 292 acres, 0 roods, 34 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Shanaveag (no records)
Overview of Shanaveag in 1911.
According to the census of that year there were a total of just 2 houses in Shanaveag at that time. Both were listed as private dwellings and both were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and they had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. Both houses were 2nd class dwellings and both houses had 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. The out-offices and farm-steadings return (Form B2) shows that there were a total of 8 out buildings consisting of a stable, 2 cow houses, a calf house, 2 piggeries and 2 fowl houses. The enumerator’s abstract return (Form N) show us that there were a total of 16 people living in the townland, 9 male and 7 female. The enumerator was Const. John Sadlier.
Coyne (additional surname: Kane)
The head of this family was Catherine (74), who lived with her son Anthony (50), her daughter, Anne Kane (36) who was married to Martin Kane (40) and had been for 6 years and in that time they had had 3 children of which all 3 had survived. Catherine’s grandchildren also lived in the house and they were Thomas F. Kane (5), Anthony J. (4) and Mary (2). Catherine was Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway but there was nothing entered under either of those headings for the other members of the family. Catherin, Anthony, Anne and Martin all spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing recorded for the others so that could indicate that they only spoke English. Only Anthony was listed as being able to read and write, Catherine was listed as illiterate. Catherine was a famer. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a cow house, calf house, a piggery and a fowl house. Catherine Coyne was the landholder.
The head of this Conroy family was Philip (50) who was married to Norah (40) and they had been married for 28 years[i] and in that time they had had 14 children and 12 of those had survived. They lived with their children James (17), Annie M. (15), Norah (12), Bridget A. (11), John (8), Martin (7) and Christopher (5). All were recorded as being Roman Catholic but only Philip and Norah (40) were listed as being born in Co. Galway and nothing was listed for the others under that heading. Philip and Norah (40) spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the other members of the family so that could mean that they only spoke English. Philip could not read but the others could read and write. Philip was a farmer and Annie M., Norah (12), Bridget A., John, Martin and Christopher, were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed 2nd class dwelling with a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a fowl house. Philip Conroy was the landholder.
Overview of Shanaveag in 1901.
The 1901 census shows that there were only 2 houses in Shanaveag and both were constructed of Stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. Both houses were 3rd class dwellings with 2 rooms and 2 windows. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were a total of 15 people in the townland at that time, 7 male and 8 female. The enumerator was Const. Edward Burke.
The head of this family was Philip (40) and he was married to Norah (35). They lived with 10 of their children, Roger (16), Anthony (15), Mary (12), Fred (10), Kate (9), James (8), Anne (6), Norah (4), Agnes (2) and John (8mths). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English apart from the 3 youngest children, Norah (4), Agnes and John. Apart from those 3 youngest children they could all read and write. Philip was a farmer and Roger, Anthony, Mary, Fred, Kate, James and Anne were all scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Philip Conroy was the landholder.
The head of the family in house 2 was the widow Catherine (63) and she shared the house with 2 of her children, Anthony (35) and Anne (25). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and Anthony and Anne could both read and write. Catherine was a farmer and Anne was listed as a farmer’s daughter. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Catherine Coyne was the landholder.
According to Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) the immediate lessor in this townland was St. John L. Clowes and he leased a herds house and office on 287 acres, 1 rood and 39 perches of land to Richard Anderson and Edward Hemsworth for which they paid £10 5s for the land and 15s for the buildings.
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Sligagh. The 1641 owner was the Catholic Edmund O’Flaharty and the 1670 owner was Francis Browne, a Protestant. There were 38 plantation acres of profitable land and 38 plantation acres were forfeited.
[i] Quite possibly a mistake with either the amount of years married or Norah’s age as this would mean she got married at the age of 12.