Tullybeg

An Tulaigh Bheag

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                 Tullybeg

Civil Parish:                               Ballynakill

Barony:                                       Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                          Letterfrack

District Electoral Division:     Rinvyle

Area:                                          186.38 acres / 186 acres, 1 rood, 21 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Letterfrack R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Map

Galway Library for Tullybeg

Logainm for Tullybeg

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Tullybeg

 

1911 Census for Tullybeg

Overview of Tullybeg in 1911.

The house and building return for Tullybeg in the 1911 census shows that there were 5 houses in the townland, all of which were listed as being private dwellings. All the houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Houses 1 and 2 were 3rd class dwellings and the other 3 were 2nd class dwellings. Houses 1 and 2 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front, houses 3 and 4 had 2 rooms and 3 windows and house 5 had 2 rooms and 4 windows. The out-office and farm-steadings return (form B2) shows that there were a total of 14 pout buildings in the townland at that time consisting of 4 stables, 5 cow houses, 2 piggeries and 3 fowl houses. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) shows that there were a total of 27 people in Tullybeg, 11 male and 16 female. The enumerator was Const. John Sadlier.

 

Coyne

The head of the first family in Tullybeg was John (60) and he had been married to his wife Sarah (61) for 34 years and they had had 11 children but only 8 of those had survived. They shared the house with 4 of those children, John (22), Nora (19), Sarah (17) and Maggie (15). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and John (60) and Sarah (61) were recorded as being illiterate but the others could all read and write. John (60) was a farmer and John (22) was a farmer’s son. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a fowl house. John Coyne was the landholder.

 

Coyne 

The head of this Coyne family was Thomas (35) and he had been married to Anne (389) for 11 years and in that time they had had 5 children, all of whom had survived. They shared the house with those 5 children and they were Martin Joseph (8), Joseph (6), John (5), Bridget (3) and Annie (1). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Thomas and Anne spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing recorded for the others under that heading so that could indicate that they only spoke English. John, Bridget and Annie were recorded as being illiterate but the others could all read and write. Thomas was a farmer and Martin Joseph and Joseph were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a cow house and a fowl house. Thomas Coyne was the landholder.

 

Faherty 

The head of this Faherty family was Patrick (74) and he had been married to Margaret (59) for 38 years and they had had 10 children and all had survived. They shared the house with 5 of those children, Jane (27), John (22), Mary (19) Agnes (17) and Lillie (15). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick and Margaret both spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing recorded for the other members of the family so that could indicate that they only spoke English. All the family could read and write. Patrick and John were listed as being farmers. The house they all lived in was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable, a cow house and a fowl house. The landholder was Patrick Faherty.

 

Wallace 

The head of this family was John (75) and he had been married to Honor (73) for 5 years and Honor was listed as having 7 children of which 4 had survived[i]. They lived with john’s son Philip (38), his daughter-in-law, Bridget (28) and his Granddaughter, Bridget (3mths).All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except baby Bridget. Honor was recorded as being illiterate while the other members of the family could all read and write. John and Philip were farmers. They all shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. John Wallace was the landholder.

 

Wallace 

The head of this Wallace family was Stephen (40) and his wife Anne Maria (37) who had been married for 10 years but there were no children recorded. Both were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both spoke both Irish and English and both could read and write. Stephen was listed as being a farmer. They lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class house and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was Elizabeth J. Blake.

 

1901 Census for Tullybeg

Overview of Tullybeg in 1901.

The census of 1901 shows that there were 5 houses in Tullybeg with 4 houses being inhabited. House 5 was the Protestant church and the others were all private dwellings. All the inhabited houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. All the houses were 3rd class dwellings with house 2 having 2 rooms and 1 window and the other 3 having 2 rooms and 2 windows. The enumerator’s abstract return (Form N) shows that there were a total of 26 people in the townland at that time, 8 male and 18 female. The enumerator was Const. Edward Burke.

 

Faherty

The first house in Tullybeg was home to the Faherty family and the head of the family was Patrick (60) who was married to Maggie (48) and they lived with 8 of their children, Annie (26), Janie (19), Stephen (17), Delia (15), John (12), Mary (10), Agnes (8) and Eliza (6). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick, Maggie, Annie, Janie and Stephen all spoke both Irish and English and the rest only spoke English. All the family could read and write. Patrick was a farmer, Annie, Janie and Delia were farmer’s daughters, Stephen was a farmer’s son and John, Mary, Agnes and Eliza were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Patrick Faherty was the landholder.

 

Connelly

The sole occupant of house 2 was the widow Ellen (62). She was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. She spoke both Irish and English but could not read. Ellen was a farmer. She lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and she was the landholder.

 

Coyne 

The head of this Coyne family was John (40) and he was married to Mary (35) and they lived with 8 of their children, Tom (20), Patrick (18), Mary Anne (16), Anne (13), John (11), Honoria (8), Sarah (5) and Margaret (4) and also in the house was a relative, Maria (90). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John (40), Tom, Patrick, Mary Anne and Anne spoke both Irish and English, Sarah (35) and Maria spoke only Irish while the rest spoke only English. Tom, Patrick, John, Honoria and Sarah (5) could read only, Mary Anne and Anne could read and write and the rest could not read. John (40) was a farmer, Tom, Patrick and John were farmer’s sons and all the girls were farmer’s daughters. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and John Coyne was the landholder.

 

Kilcoyne 

The head of the Kilcoyne family was Peter (56) and he was married to Anne (50) and they shared the house with their 2 granddaughters, Mary (13) and Anne (10). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English but none of the family could read. Peter was a farmer. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Peter Kilcoyne was the landholder.

 

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Tullybeg

Mary Laffey – Application No. D/10 20758. The application was received on 19/09/1910. The office of Customs and Excise was Clifden 1. Mary’s parents were given as Pat and Anne Laffey. Their address for 1841 was given as Dawrosmore, Dawrosbeg, in the parish of Ballynakill, in the barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 01/10/1910. Particulars found were Mary aged 10 years.

 

Mary Laffey – Application No. D/10 20758. The application was received on 19/09/1910. The office of Customs and Excise was Clifden 1. Mary’s parents were given as Pat and Anne Laffey. Their address for 1851 was given as Dawrosmore, Dawrosbeg, in the parish of Ballynakill, in the barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 20/09/1910 and particulars found were written as not found.

 

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Tullybeg

According to Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) the main immediate lessor in Tullybeg was Henry Blake. Messrs. Blake leased 57 acres, 2 roods and 30 perches from Henry Blake for £24 annually. Henry Blake had, for himself, 120 acres, 2 roods and 37 perches of land with an annual ratable valuation of £9. Michael King leased a house and office for 10sand Anthony Mealy leased a house on 2 acres and 11 perches of land from Henry Blake for 10s for the land and 5s for house. There were also 8 cares, 3 roods and 1 perch of water in the townland.

 

1670 Down Survey for Tullybeg

The 1670 Down Survey names for this area were Dirrenchillyn & Tullegihy. The 1641 owner was the Catholic Rory O’Flahartye and in 1670 the owner was Richard, Earl of Westmeath, also a Catholic.

 

[i] Possibly from an earlier marriage.

 

This page was added on 13/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *