Crocknaraw

Cnoc na Rátha

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                 Crocknaraw

Civil Parish:                               Ballynakill

Barony                                       Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                          Letterfrack

District Electoral Division:     Ballynakill

Area:                                       860.27 acres / 860 acres, 1 rood, 2 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Letterfrack R.C. Parish 1821-1886

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Crocknaraw (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Crocknaraw

Logainm for Crocknaraw

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Crocknaraw

 

1911 Census for Crocknaraw

Overview of Crocknaraw in 1911

There were 9 houses in Crocknaraw in 1911, all listed as private dwellings. House 2 was uninhabited but the landholder was E. L. Holmes Leigh. All the houses were 2 roomed, 2nd class houses that were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and Slate, iron or tiled roofs. There were a total of 21 out buildings consisting of 2 stables, 7 cow houses, 5 calf houses, 6 piggeries an a fowl house. There were a total of 31 people, 16 male and 15 female. The enumerator was Const. John Hickey.

 

Coyne

The head of the Coyne family was Michael (27) and his wife Florence Emily (30) who had been married for 2 years and had had 1 child. Their son John (9mths) also lived in the house. Michael could speak Irish and English but could not read. Florence Emily could read and write. Michael and John were born in Co. Galway, Florence Emily was born in England and all three were Roman Catholics. Michael is recorded as an agricultural labourer. Their house was 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with fowl house. The landholder was E. L. Holmes Leigh.

 

King

House 3 was the home on the King family with John (73) as the head and his wife Mary (68) who had been married for 42 years and they’d had 12 children of which 10 survived. 3 of their children lived in the house with them and they were Daniel (22), Norah (20) and Catherine (18). They could all speak both Irish and English and the children could read and write but the parents, John and Mary could not read. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John was a farmer, Daniel, a farmer’s son and Norah and Katherine were farmer’s daughters. They shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a stable, cow house and piggery. John King was the landholder.

 

Lyden

House 4 was the Lyden household and the head of the family was Michael (69) and his wife Bridget (67) who had been married for 35 years and had had 8 children of which 6 survived. 3 of their children lived with them and they were Maggie (28), Peter (26) and Katherine (19). All the family could speak both Irish and English and all could read and write. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael is listed as being a farmer, Maggie and Katherine, as farmer’s daughters and Peter as a farmer’s son. Their house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a cow house, a calf house and a piggery. The landholder was Michael Lyden.

 

Coyne

The Coyne family in house 5 consisted of 3 members. The head of the family was John (70) and his wife Mary (70) who had been married for 44 years and had had 9 children, all of whom survived. 1 of their sons, Martin (22) also lived in the house with them at that time. All could speak both Irish and English but only Martin could read and write. All 3 were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John’s occupation is listed as a farmer and Martin’s as a farmer’s son. The house they lived in was a 2nd class, 2 roomed dwelling with a cow house and a piggery. John Coyne was the landholder.

 

Toole

House 6 was the Toole household and the head of the family was John (73) and his wife Honor (74). They had been married for 46 years and had had 5 children but only 1 survived, that was Pat (44) who lived with them. All 3 could speak both Irish and English but only John could read and write. All 3 were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John was a farmer and Pat was listed as a farmer’s son. They shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a cow house, calf house and piggery. John Coyne was the landholder.

 

Davis                           (additional surname: King)

The Davis household consisted of 7 members with the head of the family being Mary (46). She had been married for 22 years and had had 5 children all of whom survived. Those 5 children lived in the house with her and were John (20), Maggie (18), Michael (15), Theresa (11) and Thomas (7). In addition Mary’s grandmother Maggie King (84) also lived with them. Maggie (84) could not read, Thomas could read and the rest of the family could all read and write. They were all Roman Catholic, John, Maggie and Michael had been born in Australia while the rest of the family were all born in Co. Galway. John and Michael are listed as farmer’s sons and Thersa and Thomas were scholars. Their house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a cow house, calf house and a piggery. Mary Davis was the landholder.

 

Lydon

The head of the Lydon family was Michael (38) and his wife Norah (29), also in the house with nthem at that time was Michael’s brother John (36). All could speak both Irish and English and all could read and write. All 3 were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both Michael and John were farmers and the house they lived in was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a stable, cow house and calf house. Michael Lydon was the landholder.

 

Connor

House 9 and last house in Crocknaraw was the home of the Connor family. Head of the family was Pat (72) and his wife Bridget (74). The 2 of them had been married for 44 years and had had 5 children all of whom survived. Neither of them could read but both could speak both Irish and English. Both were Roman Catholic and Born in Co. Galway and Pat is listed as being a farmer. Their house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a cow house, calf house and a piggery. Pat Connor was the landholder.

 

 

1901 Census for Crocknaraw

Overview of Crocknaraw in 1901.

There were 8 buildings in Crocknaraw in 1901 but only 1 was inhabited, that being house 1 which was recorded as a private dwelling. The other 7 uninhabited buildings were recorded as public buildings. There is a note on the house and building return form that states “ Note – No. 2 to 8 inclusive are houses newly built by G. D. board but not yet tenanted” So, the landholder at this time for all the houses was the G. district board for Ireland. All houses were constructed of Stone, brick or concrete walls and slate, iron or tiled roofs. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling with 4 rooms and 8 windows in the front. The other 7 houses had 2 rooms and 2 windows and were classed as 2nd class dwellings. There was just the 1 person living in Crocknaraw ath that time, a male.

 

Cobham

The sole occupant of Crocknaraw was Robert (50). He could read and write, was a Roman Catholic and was born in England. His occupation is listed as a basket maker. The house was a 1st class, 4 roomed house with a stable, turf house and store. The landholder was the G. district board for Ireland.

 

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Crocknaraw

According to the Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) Robert Graham owned the landing this area and leased tenements to Thomas C. Butler and the Rev. John Lynch. Thomas C. Butler leased 2 plots of land, the first being of 437 Acres 2 Roods and 1 perch that contained a house and offices. The second plot was of 360 Acres, 1 Rood and 10 Perches of land only. He paid an annual rate of £47 for the first plot of land and £15 for the buildings on that plot and he paid £5 for the second plot. Thomas C. Butler then leased a house to Timothy Lydon for 5s annually. The Rev. John Lynch leased 1 Acre and 10 Perches from Robert Graham at an annual rate of 5s. Robert Graham himself kept 68 Acres and 2 Roods of land at an annual ratable valuation of 15s. There was also 10 Acres,3 Roods and 15 Perches of water.

 

 

1670 Down Survey for Crocknaraw

The 1670 Down Survey had a number of names for this area, these were Keilemore, Glancarbdemore, Gortnefunshine, Rossynelee and Shanaharaghane. In 1641 the owner was Edmund O’Flaharty who was a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was the Catholic James Darcy.

This page was added on 17/07/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *