Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Cleggan
Area: 97.88 acres / 97 acres, 3 roods, 20 perches
1901 Census for Cloonederowen (no records)
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Cloonederowen (no records)
Overview of Cloonederowen in 1911
There were 9 houses in Cloonederowen in 1911 all of which were occupied private dwellings. They all had stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Houses 4, 5 and 7 were 3rd class dwellings with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front, houses 1,2,3 and 6 were 2nd class dwellings with 2 rooms and 3 windows. There were a total of 14 out buildings which consisted of a stable, 6 cow houses, 5 calf houses and 2 piggeries. There were a total of 33 people 18 male and 25 female. The enumerator was Const. John Hickey.
House 1 was the home of the King family. Head of the family was Michael (69) and his wife Mary (66) who had been married for 34 years and had had 8 children of which 7 survived. With them in the house lived 3 of their children Patrick (25), Stephen (20) and Mary (13). All 5 of the family could speak both Irish and English and could read and write. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael was a farmer and Patrick and Stephen were farmer’s sons with Mary (13) being a scholar. They lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a cow house, calf house and a piggery. Michael King was the landholder.
House 2 was the Baker household with the head of the family being Michael (48) and his wife Bridget (35) who had been married for 13 years and had had 5 children all of whom survived. Those 5 children lived with them and were Mary (12), John (11), Maggie (9), Ellen (6) and Sarah (1). Michael and Bridget are listed as having both Irish and English but there is nothing listed under that category for the rest[i]. The only ones that could read and write were Mary, John and Maggie. All were born in Co. Galway and were members of the Catholick (sic) Church. Michael was a farmer and Mary, John, Maggie and Ellen were scholars. The house they shared was a 2 roomed, 2nd class house with cow house, calf house and piggery. Michael Baker was the landholder.
The only 2 of the Conneely family living in house 3 were Anthony (51) and his wife Anne (46) who had been married for 16 years but had no children. They both could speak Irish and English but only Anne could read and write. Both were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic.Anthony was a farmer. The house they lived in was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a cow house and a calf house. The landholder was Anthony Conneely.
The head of the Coyne family was Patrick (72) and his wife Harah (sic)[ii]. They had been married for 23 years and they’d had 6 children of which 5 survived. Those 5 children lived with them and were Bridget (14), John (11), Mary (8), Martin (6) and Margret (sic) (3). Patrick and Harah (sic) are listed as speaking both Irish and English but nothing is listed for the children[iii]. Bridget, John, Mary and Martin could read and write, Patrick and Margret (sic) could not read and Harah (sic) could read only. All were born on Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick was a farmer, Bridget was a farmer’s daughter and John, Mary and Martin were scholars. The dwelling they shared was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling with a calf house. Pat Coyne is listed as the landholder.
O’Bácer (additional surname: O’Bácaear, bean Uí Bácaear)
Head of the family in house 5 was Tiómás (72) and his wife Máire (71) who had been married for 38 years. Also in the house was their son Micheál (35).
The head of the Faherty family in house 6 was the widow Anne (45). Living with her at the time were her children Patrick (20), John (18), Bridget (16), Michael (14), Anthony (12), Stephen (10) and Martin (9). Anne could not read but all the rest of the family could read and write. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick, John and Michael are listed as being farmer’s sons, Bridget, a farmer’s daughter and Anthony, Stephen and Martin as scholars. The house they shared was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a stable, cow house and calf house. Anne Faherty was the landholder.
The sole occupant of the last house in Cloonederowen was William King (72). He spoke both Irish and English and could read and write. He was born in Co. Galway and was a Roman Catholic. He is recorded as being a farmer. His house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a cow house. He was also the landholder.
According to the Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) Edmund O’Flaherty owned this land and leased tenements to Martin Mullen, William Armitage, John Gibbons and Thomas C. Butler. Edmund O’Flaherty kept for himself 97 Acres, 1 Rood and 5 Perches of land for which he paid an annual rate of £40. Martin Mullin leased a house at a rate of 7s annually, William Armitage leased a house and office for which he paid £1 annually. John Gibbons leased a forge for 5s and Thomas C. Butler leased 3 Acres, 1 Rood and 18 Perches of land for an annual fee of 15s.
The name for Cloonederowen in the 1670 Down Survey was Cloonaderdaowen. The 1640 owner was Donnell McOwen O’Flahartye who was a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was the protestant Francis Browne. There were 15 plantation acres of profitable land and 15 plantation acres were forfeited.
[i] Probably indicates that they spoke only English
[ii] In the household return form it could be Horah or possibly a bad spelling of Honah?
[iii] Probably indicates that they spoke only English