Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Ballynakill
Area: 124.20 acres / 124 acres, 0 roods, 32 perches
1901 Census for Roscrea (no records)
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Roscrea (no records)
Overview of Roscrea in 1911
There was only the one building in Roscrea in the 1911 census. It was built of stone, brick or concrete walls and slate, iron or tiles for roofing. It was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows. There were a total of 3 out buildings, those being a cow house, a calf house and a piggery. A total of 8 people lived there, 4 male and 4 female,. The enumerator was Const. John Hickey.
The only family in Roscrea in 1911 was the Pollington family. The head of the family was Henery (sic) (39) and his wife Mary (35). They had been married for 15 years and they’d had 6 children all of whom survived. Those 6 children lived with them and were Charles Jas (sic) (14), Thomas H. (12), Annie Louisa (9), Martha Elizabeth (9), William Samuel (4) and Mary Alexandria (2). All were members of the Church of Ireland. Henery (sic) and Mary were born in Co. Galway, Charles Jas, Thomas H. and Annie Louisa were born in Moyard, Co. Galway and Martha Elizabeth, William Samuel and Mary Alexandria were born in Roscrea Co. Galway. All, with the exception of William Samuel and Mary Alexandria could read and write. Mary, Charles Jas and Thomas H spoke both Irish and English. Henery (sic) was a farmer while all the children, apart from Mary Alexandria, were scholars. Their house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a cow house, calf house and piggery. The landholder was Henry Pollington.
Edmund O’Flaherty owned the land in Roscrea according to Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864). He leased tenements to Martin O’Flaherty, John Flaherty and the national school. Martin O’Flaherty leased 122 Acres, 3 Roods and 25 Perches of land with a herd’s house and offices at a ratable valuation of £40 for the land and £1 10s for the buildings. John Flaherty leased a house at a rate of 10s and the national school leased a house for £1 10s, however, this was exempt from payment.
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Runemoyle. The owner in 1641 was Edmund O’Flaharty, a Catholic, and in 1670 the owner was Richard, Earl of Westmeath, also a Catholic. There were 1151 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 245 plantation acres of profitable land. 145 plantation acres were forfeited.