Dún Doighre (Gaeilge)
meaning of Irish place name:
dún (also: dúnaibh)- fort
A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, by Samuel Lewis, 1837
DONEIRA, or DONIRY, a parish, in the barony of LEITRIM, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 ¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Portumna; containing 2348 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the west by the Slieve-Baughta mountains, and comprises 3963 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is in the diocese of Clonfert; the rectory is appropriate partly to the see and partly to the deanery of Clonfert, and partly with the vicarage forming part of the union of Tynagh. The tithes amount to £95. 13. 10 ½., of which £12. 17. 3. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £4. 12. 3 ¾. to the dean, and £78. 4. 3 ¾. to the incumbent. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ballynakill, and contains a chapel.
Slater’s Directory, 1894, p.46
DUNIRY, a parish in co.Galway, baronies of Leitrim and Longford, Woodford dispensary district, in Loughrea union, Protestant and Catholic diocese of Clonfert, 5 ½ miles north-west from Portumna, about 8 south-east from Longford terminal station of branch of the Midland Great Western railway, containing 32 townlands. For ecclesiastical purposes this parish is united to Tynagh. There is a Catholic church. The area comprises 5.828 acres; the population in 1891 was 812. Letters arrive from Loughrea.