Cill Tulach (Gaeilge)
meaning of Irish place name:
tulach (also: tulaigh)- hillock
A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, by Samuel Lewis, 1837
KILTULLAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of KILCONNELL, but chiefly in that of ATHENRY, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Athenry, on the road to Loughrea; containing 3069 inhabitants. A cell of the third order of Franciscans, was founded here prior to the year 1441.
The parish comprises 4870 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is moderately well cultivated. Kiltullagh House is the seat of J. D’Arcy, Esq., in whose demesne is a fine chalybeate spring. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, forming part of the union of Kilconickny; the rectory is appropriate to the bishoprick, deanery, and archdeaconry of Clonfert, and to the vicarage.
The tithes amount to £204. 11., of which £23. 1. 6 ½. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £4. 12. 3. to the dean, £32. 6. 1 ¾. to the archdeacon, and £144. 11. 0 ¾. to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Kiltullagh and Killimordaly, in each of which is a chapel. There is a Dominican convent at Esker, consisting of seven friars: it is pleasantly situated, and the chapel has a handsome spire. Connected with it is a school of about 600 children, 50 of whom are clothed and many of them fed. There are also a private school, in which about 120 children are educated, and a Sunday school.