Cloch na Rón (Gaeilge)
meaning of Irish place name:
cloch (also: cloich)- stone, stone building
Slater’s Directory, 1894, p. 84-85
ROUNDSTONE, a village on a bay of the same name, in the parish of Moyrus, barony of Ballinahinch, south-west coast co. Galway, head of petty sessional and dispensary district in Clifden union, Protestant and Catholic diocese of Tuam, 8 ½ miles south-east from Clifden. Roundstone Bay is capable of sheltering large ships, the best anchorage being in four or live fathoms of water on the Innisnee shore; vessels of considerable burden may go up to the pier, which is dry at low water, or lie safely off the village. The pier and quay were built by Government. The Urrisberg mountain, 987 feet above sea level, is on the west of the village, and from its summit wide views can be obtained of the portion of Connemara with its number of small inland lakes. There is a Catholic church and a National school. The area comprises 16 acres; the population in 1891 was 325.