Translation: Plot of the beehives or conical hills
Down Survey 1641:The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurement on maps. It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate it’s redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
Ashford is not available on the Down Survey website.
O’Donovan’s field Name Books 1838: John O’Donovan tells us the standard name for the townland is Ashford or Cappacoreoge; CeapaCorcog is the Irish form of the name meaning plot of the beehives or conical hills. There were other variations of the name; Ashford (Boundary Sketch Map), Ashford (County Cess Collector), Ashford (County Map), Ashford or Cappacorcogue (Local), Ashford (Mearsman), Ashford (Rev. Michael Waldron P.P.). Ashford (Tithe Ledger), Cappaghorkogue (O’Donovan).
Description: The proprietor was Lord Oranmore of Castlemontgarret, County Mayo and the agent was Laurence Glynn of the same place. All lands were held in the proprietor’s possession. The soil was pretty good; mostly in tillage and producing middling crops of wheat, oats, flax and potatoes that were sold yearly. The County Cess of 11¼ was paid per acre half yearly for each of 128 acres. The house of Ashford, a handsome dwelling for a gentleman stands on the eastern extremity of the townland, having the clear stream of Cong River running in front and emptying itself into Lough Corrib at the rear. The only antiquity is a fort with a cave called Lisschlanmurrish (sic).
Situation: Ashford is in the east side of the parish; bounded on the north by the townlands of Creg and Clogher; on the west by Clogher and Deerpark, to the south by Lough Corrib and on the east by the parish of Cong, County Mayo. Ashford is in the barony of Ross and is in County Galway.
Griffith’s Valuation 1849: According to Griffith’s Valuation the townland of Ashford (Ordnance Survey Sheet 27), had an area of 178 acres and 12 perches. The land value at the time was £101.10.10. The building value was £16.8.2.
1: Benjamin L. Guinness was the sole occupier of Ashford estate, and he was in fee for a house, offices and land. He held 167 acres, 1 rood and 17 perches of land that had an annual ratable valuation of £95 and the buildings were valued at £25. His total annual valuation of rateable property was £120. There was an area of 11 acres, 1 rood and 23 perches of water, and one small island that measured 6 perches belonging to Benjamin L. Guinness that was of no agricultural value.
1901 Census: The census was collected by Constable Patrick Quinn on the 1st of April 1901. There were ten buildings; eight were occupied, Ashford national schoolhouse and a gate lodge were uninhabited. Lord Ardilaun was the owner of all the properties on the estate. There was a population of thirty-eight in Ashford in 1901; nineteen males and nineteen females.
No 1: Baron Arthur Ardilaun (59) was born in Dublin; his wife Baroness Olive Ardilaun (49) was born in County Cork; both were members of the Church of Ireland. Five males and eight females were in domestic service: ten were born in England; two were born in Scotland and one was born in Ireland.
John Shaw (48) a married man was a butler and domestic servant
Arthur Ernest Simmons (30) was an under butler and domestic servant
James Smith (25) was a kitchen and domestic servant
John Dolney Howe (27) and George Turner (24) were footmen and domestic servants
Elizabeth Day (45) was a housekeeper and domestic servant
Elizabeth Tharplee (37) was a cook and domestic servant
Harriet Barton (32) was a lady maid and domestic servant
Ellen Hudson (33) was a still room maid and domestic servant
Mary Bushnell (18) was a scullery maid and domestic servant. All were born in England.
Mary McLeod (19) and Christina Robertson (42) were house maids and domestic servants. They were born in Scotland,and were Church of Scotland
Maggie Allen (26) a house maid and domestic servant was born in Ireland.
No 2: William Haddow (28) a gardener was married to Mary (23), both were born in Scotland and were Presbyterian. The house was 1st class with eight windows in front and the couple occupied six rooms. There were no outbuildings on the premises.
No 3:Thomas Ryder (36) a coachman was born in England; his wife Ellie (23) a housekeeper was born in Co. Galway and their children, Isabella (2), and (8) months old infant, Thomas William were born in Dublin. Thomas and Ellie could read and write and were Church of Ireland.The house was 2nd class with three windows to the front and the parents and children occupied two rooms. There were no out offices on the property.
No 4: George Griffith (45) a coachman and his wife Jane (40) a housekeeper were the occupants of this house. They were born in County Monaghan and were Church of Ireland.The couplecould read and write. The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and George and Janeoccupied two rooms. There were no outbuildings on the premises.
No 5: A groom’s house was occupied by groom James Edward Smith (26). He was born in England and was single at the time. James could read and write but refused to state what religion if any, he professed. The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and it had three rooms.
No 6: A gardener’s house was occupied by gardener Thomas Ryder (30) born in County Antrim. Thomas could read only, and he was Church of Ireland. The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and it had four rooms.
No 7: A teacher’s house was occupied by Thomas A Cooke (52) a national schoolteacher, his wife Mary Anne (43) and their six children. David (20) was an accountant; Emma J. (17), Jessie P. (12), twins: Alfred J. and Edgar A. (9) were scholars, and the infant Charles G. was (5) months old. The parents were born in County Leitrim and their children were born in County Galway. All were Church of Ireland. The house was 1st class with six windows to the front and the family of eight occupied nine rooms. Three outbuildings on the property contained a cow house, a calf house and a dairy.
No 8: A gamekeeper’s house was occupied by Thomas Hill (44) a gamekeeper and his wife Jessie (52), both born in Scotland. Their daughter Annie (25) born in County Wicklow had no occupation listed. The family was Church of Ireland. The house was 2ndclass and it had four windows to the front, and three people occupied seven rooms. There were six kennels on the property.
No 9: A gate house was vacant.
No 10: Ashford national school and was uninhabited.
Lord Ardilaun was the name of the landholder where all the buildings were situated.
Census 1911: The enumerator Constable Thomas Gordon collected the census for Ashford on the 12th April 1911.There were eleven people living on the estate at the time; six males and five females. Four buildings were occupied, two were 1st class and two were 2nd class dwellings all had slate roofs.
No 1: Ashford Castle Cong had eighty-five rooms, and it had one hundred and twenty-six windows to the front of the building. Two women were in the castle when the 1911 census were recorded. Margaret Keiro (30) a single woman born in Scotland was head housemaid, and she was Church of Scotland. Marion Hayes (20) a housemaid born in County Down was Church of Ireland.
There were twenty-nine out offices on the Ashford estate: three stables, three coach houses, two harness rooms, three cow houses, three calf houses, a dairy, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house, a workshop, four sheds, two stores, a laundry and two coal houses.
No 2: Thomas James Hinch (sic)[i] (28) born in County Kildare was head of this house and he was a Methodist. Charles Henry (21) born in Dublin, William McIntosh (21) born in Galway and David Dunlop (18) born in County Wexford were Presbyterian. The young men were gardeners on the estate. The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and four males occupied four rooms. There was a coal house on the premises.
No 3: Peter D Reid (39) born in Scotland was a gardener and domestic servant. He was married to Elizabeth (32) born in County Wexford for eleven years and they had one daughter, Annie I.D. (10), and she too was born in County Wexford. The family were Presbyterian. The house was 1st class; it had seven windows to the front and three people occupied five rooms. Four outbuildings contained a fowl house, a coal house, a turf house and a shed.
No 4: Robert Bell (38) born in County Wexford was married to Annie (40) born in County Tyrone, they did not have children in 1911. Robert was a gardener and domestic servant; Annie was a laundress and domestic servant. The couple were Church of Ireland. The house was 2nd class with two windows in front and the couple occupied three rooms. There was a coal house on the property.
[i] Possibly Huich