Translation: Crooked lands
The Down Survey 1655: The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurements on maps. It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate it’s redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
The Down Survey name for this townland was Quillaugh. In 1641 (pre-Cromwell), the owner was Sir Thomas Blake a protestant. In 1670 (post Cromwell) it was still in protestant ownership of Sir Thomas Blake. It is in the half barony of Ross, in the parish of Ross Co. Galway. There were 480 plantation acres of unprofitable land; 32 plantation acres of profitable land and this amount was forfeited.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838: The standard name for the townland is Cammanagh and Camannach the Irish form of the name, translates as ‘crooked lands’.
Other forms of the name: Cammanagh, Camannach, Camannach, Cammanagh (Boundary Surveyor’s Sketch Map), Cammanagh (Co. Cess Collector), Cammanagh (Mearsman), Cammanagh or Commons (Rev. Michael Heraghty P.P.), Commonagh (Tithe Ledger).
Description: The proprietor was the Provost of Trinity College Dublin and the agent was Alexander Nesbitt, Esq., Junior, of 96 Stephens Green South, Dublin. The land was all held under lease by Robert Fair, Esq., Carravilla near Kilmaine. The Co. Cess of 11¼d was paid for 34 acres. The soil, all mountainous with some steep heath rough pasture, coarse mixed pasture, some arable mountain and a little tillage at the valley. There was a herd’s house and Saint Fechin’s Holy Well / ‘Tubberfeeheen’ and a burial place for children called Billew / Bileadha (trees) a small plantation.
Situation: A central townland; bounded on the north by the townlands of Lecarrow and Currareewaugh, to the west by Cammanagh and Breenaan, to the south Breenaan and Maum East and on the east by Baureevaugh and Leenane. Benbeg / Bean beag a small peak in the townland is described as a precipice of Cammanagh Mountain. It is in the barony of Ross in Co. Galway.
Griffith’s Valuation 1849: Cammanagh can be found on Ordnance Sheet 25. According to Griffith’s valuation it had an area of 1,241 acres and 16 perches. Land value at the time was £49.3.8.
Robert Phayre (sic) had one tenant on 1,241 acres, 1 rood and 12 perches of land.
1: James L Foster was the sole occupier of the land and he also had a herd’s house. The land had an annual valuation of £52 and 10 shillings; the herd’s house was valued at 10 shillings. His total annual rent of £53 was payable to Robert Phayre.
1901 Census: Constable Patrick McShane enumerated the census return for Cammanagh on the 6th of April 1901. There was one 2nd class dwelling with a perishable roof that was most likely thatch. Seven people lived here; all were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic.
No 1: James Varilly (sic) (81) and his wife Kate (65) lived here with their son Michael (41) a herd, his wife Maggie (23) and their sons; Michael (2) and infant John (6 months old). John Coyne (19) a general domestic servant was also in the house. Maggie and John Coyne could read and write; the others could not read. James and Kate spoke Irish only; Michael, his wife and John Coyne were bilingual. The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and seven people occupied three rooms. They had three out offices on the holding that contained a cow house, a piggery and a barn.
Lord Ardilaun was the name of the landholder where the house was situatied.
1911 census is not available online (24/11/20).