Translation: the small glen or valley
The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurements on maps. It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate it’s redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
Down Survey information is not available for this townland.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838: John O’Donovan tells us that the standard name for this townland was Glanbeg West and there were many variations of the name; Glanbeg (Boundary Surveyors Sketch Map), Glanbeg West (Co. Cess Collector), Glanbeg West (Local), Glanbeg West (Mearsman) Glanbeg West (Rev. Michael Heraghty P.P.), Glanbeg West (Tithe Ledger).
Description: The proprietor was James Gildea, Esq., Clooncormack near Hollymount, County Mayo. The agent was Thomas Fair, Esquire, Roundfort near Hollymount. The land was all held under lease and the rent was £32 per year. The soil was all mountainous, some mixed and some arable and a little tillage. The crops were not good. The County Assessment of 11¼d was paid per acre for 50 acres. Glanbeg is a village with no antiquities. The islands of Illaunbaun (Oilean ban) white island, Carrigeenakeeba (Carraigin na Cibe) little rock of keeb grass, illaunboher (Oilean bodhar) island of deaf people, Illauncrin (Oilean Cruin) round island, Illaunroe (Oilean Ruad) red island, Illaunjewal (Oilean a’gheimheal) island of fethers or gives, and (Oilean Ban) white island are in Lough Mask.
Situation: Glanbeg is in the north east side of the parish; bounded on the north by the townlands of Maumtrasna and Lough Mask, on the east by Glanbeg east, to the south by Kilmore, Finny and Cummer, and on the west by Cummer and Mauntrasna. It is in the barony of Ross and is in County Galway.
Griffith’s Valuation: According to Griffith’s valuation1849, James Gildea (sic) was the owner of Plot 1. It had an area of 511 acres, 2 roods and 29 perches.
Plot 1: Joseph Blake leased all the land and a herd’s house from James Gildea. The land had a ratable annual valuation of £20 and the house was valued at 5 shillings. He had two small islands in Lough Mask with an area of 1 acre, 1 rood and 35 perches that were of no agricultural value. Joseph Blake paid a total annual rent of £20 and 5 shillings to James Gildea.
1901 Census: Gleanbeg West is in the electoral division of Owenbrinn; in the sub-district of Derrypark Co. Mayo. Constable Martin Higgins enumerated the census return for the townland on the 8th of April 1911. There were three 3rd class dwellings with perishable roofs that were most likely thatch. Twenty-four people were resident here: twelve males and twelve females. Farming was their livelihood. All were born in Co. Mayo and were Roman Catholic.
No 1: Pat Joyce (49) a farmer, his wife Bridget (42), their four children and Pat’s mother in law Kate Joyce (80) a widow were the occupants of this house. Mary (19) was a farmer’s daughter; Michael (13) a farmer’s son, John (12) and Pat (8) were scholars. Pat senior, Bridget and Kate spoke Irish only and could not read; the children could read and write and were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with two windows in front and seven people occupied two rooms. Three outbuildings consisted of a cow house, a piggery and a barn.
No 2: Pat Gibbons (40) a farmer, his wife Mary (42) and their six children lived in this house. Bridget (12), Mary (10), Thomas (6) were scholars; Michael was (5), Kate (4) and Honor (2) years old. Pat and Mary could not read; the scholars could read and write; Pat spoke Irish only while Mary and her children from age four upwards, were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with two windows to the front and the family of eight occupied two rooms. They had a cow house on the holding.
No 3: Martin Joyce and Mary (40) were farmers. Bridget (17) and Mary (14) were farmer’s daughters; Thomas (12) a farmer’s son, James (10) and Martin (6) were scholars, Martin was (4) and Catherine (1) year old. Martin and Mary could not read; Bridget, Mary, Thomas and James could read and write; the parents spoke Irish only, their children were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with two windows in front and the family of nine occupied two rooms. Two outhouses contained a cow house and a piggery.
Colonel C. T. Clement was the name of the landholder where the above three houses were situated.
1911 Census: Constable John Reilly the enumerator collected the census on the 14th April 1911. There were four houses in the townland; one was 2nd class, three were 3rd class, all with perishable roofs that were most likely thatch. Twenty-one people lived here at the time; eleven males and ten females; three were born in Co. Mayo, the remainder were born in Co. Galway and all were Roman Catholic. Farming was the main occupation.
Ten years on, the census was expanded to include the following: Particulars as to Marriage / completed years the present marriage has lasted / children born alive to present marriage and children still living.
No 1: Thomas Joyce (34) a farmer was married to Bridget (32) for three years and they did not have children at this time. Both were born in County Galway. Thomas and his wife could read and write and were bilingual. The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and the couple occupied two rooms. There were no outhouses on the property.
No 2: Patrick Joyce (62) and his wife Bridget (54) were married for thirty six years and they had six children, two were listed; Mary (28), a single girl was a farmer’s daughter and Patrick (19) a farmer’s son. All were born in Co. Galway. Patrick and his wife could not read; Patrick Junior and Mary could read and write. Bridget spoke Irish only; her husband and family spoke Irish and English. The house was 3rd class with two windows to the front and four people occupied three rooms. They had a cow house, a calf house and a piggery on the holding.
No 3: Patrick Gibbons (55) a farmer was married to Mary (50) for twenty five and they had eight children; Mary (21) was a lace maker, Thomas (19) and Michael (17) were farmer’s sons, Catherine (15), Honor (13) and Patrick (10) were scholars and John was (7) years old. Patrick junior and John were born in County Mayo, the rest of the family were born in County Galway. The parents and seven-year-old John could not read, the other children could read and write and all the family were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with two windows in front and the family of nine occupied two rooms. They had three outbuildings on the premises; a cow house, a calf house and a piggery.
No 4: Martin Joyce (54) was married to Mary (52) and they were farmers. The duration of their marriage or the number of children born, was not recorded; four children were listed on the census form; Mary (22) a lace maker, Patrick (15) a farmer’s son and scholars, Martin (12) and Catherine (10). Catherine was born in County Mayo; her parents and siblings were born in County Galway. Martin and his wife could not read; their children could read and write. Martin senior spoke Irish only; his wife and his family were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with two windows to the front and six people occupied two rooms. The three outbuildings consisted of a cow house, a calf house and a piggery.