Translation: A small fork
The Down Survey: The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurements on maps. It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate it’s redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
No Down Survey information available for this townland.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838: John O’Donovan tells us the standard name for this townland is Gowlaun and Gabhlán is the Irish form of the name.
Other forms of the name: Gowlaun, Gabhlán, Gawlaun (Boundary Sketch Map), Gowlaun (County Cess Collector), Gowlaun (Local), Goulaun (Mearsman), Gowlane (Rev. Michael Heraty P.P.), Gowlaun (Tithe Ledger).
Description: The proprietor was the Provost of Trinity College Dublin. The agent was Alexander Nesbitt, Esq., Junior of 96 Stephen’s Green South, Co. Dublin. The land was all held under lease by John Joyce for a rent of £10 per year. The soil all mountainous; some green and mixed pasture and part coarse pasture towards the valley, some arable and some tillage. Middling crops of oats are produced; potatoes not good. The Co. Cess of 11¼d was paid per acre for ….acres (number of acres not specified). There are no antiquities.
Situation: Gowlaun is a central townland. It is bounded on the north by the townlands of Tawnalee, Shranahaw and Glanagevlagh, on the west by Muntierowen middle and Muntierowen east, to the south by Griggins and Curraveewaugh and on the east by Curraveewaugh (Loughnafooey) and Shannafarraghaun. It is in the barony of Ross and is in County Galway.
Griffith’s Valuation 1849: Gowlaun can be found on Ordnance Survey Sheet 12 & 25. According to Griffith’s valuation it had an area of 1,370 acres and 9 perches. The land value at the time was £27 and 17 shillings.
George McDonagh was the immediate lessor of 1,370 acres, 3 roods and 9 perches of land that had William Oughton (sic) as tenant. William leased a house on the holding to Michael Burke.
Plot 1(a): William Oughton had a house, offices and land leased from George McDonagh. The land had a rateable annual valuation of £30 and the buildings were valued at £1. William’s total annual rent was £31.
1-(b): Michael Burke had a house leased from William Oughton for which he paid an annual rent of 10 shillings.
1901 Census: Constable Patrick McShane enumerated the census return for Gowlaun on the 12th April 1901. The townland was in the electoral district of Ross, in the constabulary district of Clonbur, in the sub district of America Hut. There were two houses one 2nd class and one 3rd class, both with perishable roofs that were presumably thatch. Sixteen people resided here: eleven males and five females.
Lord Ardilaun was the name of the landholder where both houses were situated.
No 1: Patrick Joyce (33) a herd, his wife Anne (28) and their four children were the occupants of this house. Stephen was (7), Patrick (5) Martin (3) and the infant Bridget (7 months old). None of the family could read; the parents and the two eldest children were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with two windows in front and the family of six occupied two rooms. They had a cow house and a piggery on the holding.
No 2: Morgan Carty (50) a herd was born in Co. Wexford. He lived here with his wife Mary (38), their two daughters and six sons. Mary Anne (14), Sarah (12), Michael (10), Patrick (8), and Morgan (6) were scholars, John was (4), Martin (2) and infant Thomas (8) months old. Morgan senior could not read; his wife and their three eldest children could read and write. The two youngest scholars could read and the family from four upward spoke Irish and English. The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and the family of ten occupied three rooms. They had a cow house, a piggery and a barn on the holding.
1911 Census: Constable Patrick Hanaghan (sic) collected the census return on the 13th April 1911. Gowlaun was now in the electoral district of Ross, in the constabulary district of Oughterard, in the sub district of Maam. Twenty people resided in two houses: thirteen males and seven females. Both houses were 2nd class with perishable roofs, and Lord Ardilaun of Ashford Cong was still the landholder where these houses were situated.
Ten years on, the census was expanded to include the following: Particulars as to Marriage / completed years the present marriage has lasted / children born alive to present marriage and children still living. It revealed that many families experienced the loss of one or more children.
No 1: Morgan Carthy (60) a shepherd was born in Co. Wexford. He was married to Mary (43) for twenty-seven years and they had twelve children; eleven were still living and nine were recorded in this census. Michael (20) and Pat (18) were agricultural labourers, Morgan (16), John (14), Martin (12), Thomas (10), Bridget (8), Peter (5) and Margaret (2) were scholars. (Is it possible that a (2) year old was a scholar?). Morgan could not read; his wife and children from age eight upward could read and write. The parents and children from age ten upwards were bilingual. This may indicate that English was the language of the home. The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and eleven people occupied three rooms. They had a stable, a cow house and a piggery on the holding.
No 2: Pat Joyce (45) a shepherd and his wife Anne (38) were married for twenty years. They had nine children; seven were still living. Stephen (18) was a farm servant, Pat (16), Martin (14), Mary (11), Ellen (8) and Anne (5) were scholars and John was (3) years old. Pat senior could read and write; his wife and children could not read. The parents and older children were bilingual; the three youngest were not. The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and the family of nine occupied three rooms. They had a stable on the holding.