Translation: Half Quarter
The Down Survey: The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurements on maps. It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate it’s redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
No Down Survey information for this townland.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838: John O’Donovan tells us the standard name for this townland is Lecarrow and the Irish form of the name is Leith Cheathramhadh, that translates as the half-quarter.
Other forms of the name: Lecarrow, Leith Cheathramhadh, Lecarrow (Boundary Surveyor’s Sketch Map), Lecarroo (County Cess Collector), Lehcharroo (Local), Lehchurroo (Mearsman), Lehcarroo (Rev. Michael Heraghty P.P.), Lecarrow (Tithe Ledger).
Description: The proprietor was the Provost of Trinity College Dublin. The agent was Alexander Nesbitt Esq., of No 96 Stephens Green South, Dublin. The land was all held by Robert Fair Esq., Carravilla near Kilmaine, County Mayo. The rent (not specified). The soil was all mountainous; part steep heath pasture, some mixed pasture and arable mountain at the foot. The Co. Cess of 11¼d was paid per acre half yearly for 49 acres. Lecarrow had the ruins of a village and a shepherd’s house standing.
Lecarrow Mountain is described as a steep mountain.
Situation: It is a central townland; bounded on the north by the townlands of Kangarrow and Carrareevaugh, on the west by Cammanagh, to the south by Baureewaugh and on the east by Toorloggagh. It is in the barony of Ross in County Galway.
Griffith’s Valuation 1849: Lecarrow can be found on Ordnance Survey Sheet 25 & 26. According to Griffith’s Valuation it had an area of 602 acres and 13perches. The land value at the time was £25 and 2 pence.
Plot 1: Robert Phayre (sic) owned one plot that contained 602 acres, 1 rood and 9 perches of land.
James L. Foster was the sole occupier and had the lease of a house, offices and land. The land had an annual valuation of £28 and 10 shillings and the buildings had an annual valuation of £1 and 10 shillings. His total annual rent of £30 was payable to Robert Phayre.
1901 Census: Constable Patrick McShane enumerated the census return for the townland. Lecarrow was in the electoral district of Ross, in the sub district of America hut. There were only two houses; both 2nd class dwellings; one had a perishable roof that was most likely thatch. Fourteen people resided here; ten males and four females.
No 1: Alexander McIntosh (40) a gamekeeper and his wife Helen (39) were born in Scotland. They had four sons; John (12), William (11) and Alexander (8) were scholars and Robert was (2) years old and they were born in County Galway. The family were of the Presbyterian Church. The parents and their school going children could read and write. The house was 2nd class with four windows in front and the family of six occupied nine rooms. There were five out offices that contained a stable, a coach house, a cow house, a fowl house and a potato house. Lord Ardilaun was the name of the landholder where the house was situated.
No 2: John Melia (sic) (45) a herd, his wife Mary (40), their two daughters and four sons were the occupants of this house. Their daughter Bridget (18) and their son Patrick (15) had no occupations listed. Julia (12) and Thomas (9) were scholars; Bartley was (5) and Peter (3) years old. John and Mary could not read; their four eldest children could read and write. Mary and her two youngest boys spoke Irish only; John and the other children were bilingual. The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and the family of eight occupied three rooms. They had a cow house and a piggery on the holding. Lord Ardilaun was the name of the landholder where the house was situated.
1911 Census: Constable Patrick Brehenny collected the census return for Lecarrow on the 15th of April 1911. There were two houses there at the time; one 1st class and one 2nd class dwelling, Lord Ardilaun was the name of the landholder where both houses were situated.
Ten years on, the census was expanded to include the following: Marriage Particulars/ Completed years the present marriage has lasted / children born alive to present marriage and children still living. It reveals that many families experienced the loss of one or more children.
No 1: Robert H. McKinley (37) and his wife Elizabeth A (32) were married for two years and they had a (2) year old son James; all were born in Scotland and were Presbyterian. Robert was a farm manager and he and Elizabeth could read and write. The house was 1st class with five windows in front and the couple and their son occupied seven rooms. There were six out offices that consisted of a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a dairy, a piggery and a barn.
No 2: John O’Malley (60) a farm herd was married to Mary (55) for twenty nine years and they had six children; three were still living. John (21), Bartley (17) and Peter (15) were farm labourers. John senior could not read; Mary could read and their sons could read and write. Mary spoke Irish only; John and his sons were bilingual. The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and the family of five occupied three rooms. They had a stable and a cow house on the holding.
Add a comment about this page