Translation: Pass of the Calf
The Down Survey: The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurements on maps. It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate its redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
The Down Survey name for the townland of Maumgawnagh was Mamtrasna. In 1641 (pre Cromwell), it was in catholic ownership of Murragh a Na Dow O’Flahartye (sic). In 1670 (post Cromwell) the owner was Sir James Cuffe a protestant. It is in the half barony of Ross in the parish of Rosse (sic) and is in County Galway.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838: John O’ Donovan tells us the name for this townland is Maumgawnagh and the Irish form of the name is Mam Gamhna that translates as Pass of the Calf.
Translation: according to P.W. Joyce Maumgawnagh in Galway is high pass of the milch – cows (gamhnach).
Other forms of the name: Maumgawnagh, Mam Gamhna, Maumgownagh (Boundary Surveyors Sketch Map), Maumgaunugh (County Cess Collector), Mamgowny (County Map), Maumgawnagh (Local), Maumgauvnee (Rev. Michael Heragarty P.P.), Maumgaunagh (Tithes Ledger).
Description: The proprietor was the Earl of Leitrim and Charlemont, Dublin and the agent was Mr. James Fair of Fairhill in this parish. The rent was £20 per year. The soil was steep heath and mixed pasture mountain; some arable mountain and some coarse pasture and a little tillage producing middling crops of oats and potatoes. The County Cess of 11¼d was paid per acre half yearly for 39 acres. It was a small village with no antiquities. Bealanabrack / Béalatha na mbreac means mouth of the ford of the trout is described as a river that meres between Derreen and Maumgauvnagh.
Situation: It is a central townland bounded on the north by the townlands of Breenane, Kilmilkin, Dereen and Cruckaunawania; west by Cruckaunawaunia and to the south by Baurslievenaroy and on the east by Cur and Roy. It is in the barony of Ross and is in County Galway.
Griffith’s Valuation 1849: (Ordnance Survey Sheet 25). According to Griffith’s Valuation Maumgawnagh had an area of 725 acres, 3 roods and 36 perches. The land value at the time was £20.3.8.
The Earls of Leitrim and Charlemont owned a plot of land that contained 725 acres, 3 roods and 36 perches. It was leased to one tenant: 1(a) and 1(b)
1(a): Michael Walsh leased a herd’s house and 725 acres, 3 roods and 36 perches of land from the Earls. The land had an annual valuation of £19 and 10 shillings and the herd’s house had an annual valuation of 10 shillings.
1- (b): Michael Walsh also had a house that was vacant; this had an annual valuation of 10 shillings. His total annual rent for both properties was £20 and 10 shillings.
1901 Census: Constable John Doherty enumerated the 1901 census return for Maamgownagh (sic) in the electrol division of Curr in the barony and parish of Ross Co. Galway. There were two houses in the townland; one 2nd class and one 3rd class dwelling, both with perishable roofs that were presumably thatch. Eighteen people lived here: nine males and nine females; all were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic.
No 1: Peter Walsh (56) a farmer and his seven children were the occupants of this house. John B (12), Bridget (11), Peter (8), Julia (7) and Margaret M (5) were scholars; Sarah was (4) and Michael J (3) years old. Martin Murphy (23) and Michael Murphy (21) were listed as farm servants and Anne Connelly (18) a domestic servant. Peter and his school going children could read and write; the father and children from seven upwards were bilingual and the two youngest spoke English. Anne Connelly could read and write and was bilingual; Martin and Michael could not read and they spoke Irish only. The house was 2nd class with five windows in front and eleven people occupied five rooms. A variety of out buildings contained a stable, a cow house, two calf houses, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a shed.
No 2: Martin Keane (45) a shepherd, his wife Bridget (35) a housekeeper, their four children: Tom (5), Mary (4), Bridget (2) and Margret (1) year old, and Martin’s niece Mary Malia (sic) (14) resided in this house. Mary Malia was a nurse / domestic servant. None of the household could read or write; Bridget senior and niece Mary spoke Irish only; Martin, Tom and Mary were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with one window to the front and seven people occupied two rooms. There were no outbuildings on the premises. Peter Walsh was the name of the landholder where the house was situated.
1911 Census: Two houses remained occupied according to Constable Patrick Henaghan the enumerator, who collected the 1911 census return for Maamgownah (sic) on April 5th 1911. Twelve people now resided here: six males and six females. Sarah Walsh was born in Co. Mayo; the remainder were born in Co. Galway and all were Roman Catholic.
No 1: Peter Walsh (67) and his wife Sarah (54) were married for twenty- four years. They had eight children and six were listed; John B (22) a farmer’s son, Bridget (21) and Mary E (20) were farmer’s daughters, Peter (18), Sarah (15) and Michael J (13) were scholars. Martin Murphy (33) a farm servant was deaf and he was not married. Martin was the only member of the household that could not read; he spoke Irish only; the others were bilingual. The house was 2nd class with four windows in front and nine people occupied five rooms. Nine outbuildings consisted of a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a dairy, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn, a shed and a store.
No 2: Pat Lyden (40) a shepherd was married to Bridget (20) for two years and they had a (2) year old daughter Bridget. Pat and his wife could not read; both were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with two windows to the front and the couple and their child occupied two rooms. They had a cow house on the holding. Peter Walsh was the name of the landholder where the house was situated.
Add a comment about this page