Meaning: park of the deer
According to O Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838, the standard name given to the townland was Deerpark and Páirc na bhfiadh was its official Irish name. This townland was also known as Páirc na bhFia (Logainm.ie).
According to Coimisiúin na Logainmneacha (logainm.ie), Deerpark had an island, two lakes and a minor feature. The island was Coad Island (Comhad). The lakes were Lough Nagilky (Loch na Giolcaí) and Lough Namordeen (Lough na Muirdín). The minor feature was Pollneevha (An Poll Naofa).
This townland is located on the South East side of the Cong Parish. It was bounded north by the townlands of Clogher and Cappaghorkogue. Bounded west by the townland Cappaghorkogue. It was bounded south by Lough Corrib. It was bounded east by the townland Ashford.
The Down Survey was a cadastral survey of Ireland carried out by William Petty, English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey was apparently called the “Down Survey” by Petty because the results were set down in maps; ‘admeasurement down’ was used; it is referred to by that name in Petty’s will”. (Wikipedia). The name used by the Down Survey for this village was Emorky (sic.). In 1641, the owner for this townland was Earl of Clanrickard who was a Protestant. In 1670, the owners for this townland were John Brown (Protestant), Earl of Clanrickard (Protestant) and John Browne (Catholic). There was 428 acres of unprofitable land in Deerpark. There was 136 acres of profitable land and 136 acres were forfeited.
O Donovan’s (1838):
The proprietor for this village was Lord Oranmore , Castlemontgarret (sic.), Co. Mayo. The agent was Laurence Glynn of Castlemontgarret or Jerrard Strickland, Esq. of Loughglynn. Deerpark was all in proprietor’s possession. The County Cess paid 11¼ d. per acre for 54 acres. The soil was pretty good. Deerpark produced good crops of wheat and potatoes. This townland was attached to Ashford. This village had no antiquities.
According to Griffith’s Valuation, Deerpark had 97 acres, 1 rood and 35 perches. Total valuation for this townland was £49.10s.0d. Benjamin L. Guinness was the immediate lessor for this townland. This village was divided into two plots.
Plot 1 consisted of 79 acres, 0 roods and 36 perches. This plot belonged to Patrick Mahony. Total valuation for this plot was £37.10s.0d.
Plot 1 Patrick Mahonyhad a house, offices and land. The land was valued at £36.10s.0d. and the buildings were valued at £1.0s.0d. Total valuation for this plot was £37.10s.0d.
Plot 2 was composed of 18 acres, 0 rood and 39 perches. This plot belonged to John Henahan. Total valuation for this plot was £12.0s.0d.
Plot 2 John Henahan had a house, offices and land. The land was valued at £11.0s.0d. and the buildings were valued at £1.0s.0d.
There was no 1901 census for this townland. Deerpark could have been part of Ashford in the 1901 census because the Ashford National School was in Ashford in 1901 and in Deerpark in 1911.
In 1911 the census expanded its questions to include the following: Particulars as to Marriage (which included – completed years the present marriage has lasted, children born alive to present marriage, total children born alive to this marriage, and children still living). The 1911 census states there were 4 buildings in this townland. Three of these buildings were inhabited. House numbered 4 was not inhabited and was Ashford’s National School. The landlord for every building in Deerpark was Lord Ardillaun. There were five males and four females in this village. There were fifteen outhouses in this village in 1911. There were three cow houses, one dairy, three fowl houses, two turf houses, one potato house, one workshop, three sheds and a laundry according to the Return of Out-Offices and Farm-Steadings Return (Form B2).
House 1- Thomas Alfred and Mary Anne Cooke
Thomas Alfred (62) and Mary Anne (54)Cooke resided in house numbered 1with their two children. Their children were Jessie Pearl(22) and Charles George(10). Thomas Alfred and Mary Anne were married for 35 years, had nine children and eight of them survived until 1911. Thomas Alfred was a national school teacher. Charles George was a scholar. Everyone in this household could read and write. Everyone in this household spoke English only. The parents were born in Leitrim and their children were born in Galway. Everyone in this household was Irish Church. They lived in a 1stclass house with eight rooms. They had a cow house, a dairy, a fowl house, a turf house, a potato house, a workshop, two sheds and a laundry.
House 2-William and Sarah Spencer
William(71) and Sarah (63) Spencerresided in house 2. William and Sarah were married for 40 years, had ten children and eight of them survived until 1911. William was a land steward. Both William and Sarah could read and write and spoke English only. William and Sarah were born in Tipperary. Everyone in this household was Church of Ireland. They lived in a 2ndclass house with four rooms. They had a cow house, a fowl house, a turf house and a shed.
House 3-Michael and Mary Bermingham
Michael(71) and Mary (60) Bermingham occupied house 2 with their son, Francis(34). Michael and Mary were married for 35 years, had five children and four of them survived until 1911. Michael and Francis were shepherds. The parents could read and write, Francis could not read or write. Everyone in this household spoke Irish and English. Everyone in this household was born in Galway and was Roman Catholic. They lived in a 2ndclass house with seven rooms. They had a cow house and a fowl house.
Add a comment about this page