Translation: top of the mountain or fort
By Teresa Philbin
The Down Survey: The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurements on maps. It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate it’s redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
No Down Survey information available for this townland.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838: O’Donovan tells us there were other forms of the name; Baurslievenaroy, Baur Sléibhe na Ráithe, Recte narauhy, Baurslievnaroy (Boundary Surveyors Sketch Map), Roy (County Cess Collector), Baurslievroy part of Roy (Local), Raigh (Rev. Michael Heraghty P.P.) and Raigh part of Roy (Tithe Ledger).
Description: The Provost of Trinity College Dublin was the proprietor and the agent was Alexander Nesbitt, Esq., Jnr., of 96 Stephen’s Green Dublin. The land was all held under lease by Pat Maley (sic) for a rent of – per year (the amount of rent is not specified). The County Cess of 11¼ d was paid per acre for 24 acres. The soil was all mountainous, part steep and rocky and part rough. There was heath pasture with some coarse pasture in the valley. There were no antiquities.
Situation: Baurslievenaroy is in the south side of the parish and is bounded on the north by the townland of Maumgownagh and Cruckaunawaunia. It is bounded on the west by the parish of Moyrus; to the south by the townland of Tiernakill south and on the east by Cur. It is in the barony of Ross.
Griffith’s Valuation 1849: According to Griffith’s Valuation, Baurslievenroy had an area of 602 acres and 34 perches. The land value at the time was £1.5.5.
The Provost and Fellows of Trinity College Dublin were the proprietors of the land that contained 602 acres, 1 rood and 30 perches. The land was held in three divisions; the amount of rent depended on the size and quality of the plot each tenant occupied.
(1) Thomas Malia (sic) had a portion of land that had an annual rent of 5 shillings.
(2) Peter Malia’s piece of land had an annual rent of 10 shillings.
(3) John King’s piece of land had an annual rent of 15 shillings.
1901 or 1911 census are not available online for this townland (21st Nov 2018).
Add a comment about this page