Translation: Holm of the Kiln
The Down Survey: The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurements on maps. It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate it’s redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
The Down Survey name for the townland was Srahmore. In 1641 (pre – Cromwell) the owner was James Darcy a catholic. In 1670 (post – Cromwell) it was in protestant ownership of College of Dublin. It is in the half barony of Rosse (sic) in County Galway.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838: John O’Donovan tells us the standard name is Sranahaw and the Irish form of the name is Sruth na hÁithe, that translates as Holm of the Kiln.
Translation according to P.W Joyce: Sru and Sruth represent the Irish for stream.
Other forms of the name: Sranahaw, Sruth na hÁithe, Srath na hÁth, Shranaha (Boundary Sketch Map), Shrannahahe (County Cess Collector), Shranahawha (Local), Shranahaya (Mearsman), Shraghnaha (Rev. Michael Heraghty P.P.), Shraghnahawha (Tithe Ledger).
Description: The proprietor was the Provost of Trinity College Dublin and the agent was Alexander Nesbitt, Esq., Junior, of Stephen’s Green South, Dublin. The land was all held under lease for a rent of £14 per year. The soil all mountainous; steep heath pasture, some arable mountain and some mixed pasture. The Co. Cess of 11¼d was paid per acre for 19 acres. There were no antiquities.
Situation: It is situated in the north side of the parish; bounded on the north by the townlands of Townalee and the parish of Aughagower Co. Mayo; on the west by Glangowlagh and Gowlaun and on the east by Townalee. It is in the barony of Ross and is in Co. Galway.
Griffith’s Valuation1849: Sranahaw can be found on Ordnance Survey Sheet 12. According to Griffith’s Valuation it had an area of 822 acres and 21 perches. The land value at the time was £22 and 16 shillings. Trinity College Dublin leased 822 acres, 1 rood and 21 perches of land and four herd’s houses. The plot had four divisions: 1(a), 1(b) 1(c) and 1(d), each of the tenants paid an annual rent according to the valuation of their respective holding.
1(a): John King had a herd’s house and land. The land had an annual valuation of £7 and the house had an annual valuation of 10 shillings. His total annual rent was £7 and 10 shillings.
1(b): Peter Malia had a herd’s house and land. His piece of land also had an annual valuation of £7 and the house was valued at 10 shillings. He too had an annual rent of £7 and 10 shillings.
1(c): Thomas Malia had a herd’s house and land. His portion of land had an annual valuation of £3 and 10 shillings; the house had an annual valuation of 5 shillings. Thomas had a total annual rent of £3 and 15 shillings.
1(d): Patrick Conroy had a herd’s house and land. His portion of land was also valued at £3 and 10 shillings and the house had an annual valuation of 5 shillings. Peter’s total annual rent was £3 and 15 shillings.
1901 Census: Constable Patrick McShane enumerated the census return for Sranahaw, in the electoral district of Ross, in the subdistrict of America Hut on the 11th of April 1901. There were two 3rd class houses in the townland; both with perishable roofs that were most likely thatch. Eleven people resided here; six males and five females all were born in County Galway and were Roman Catholic.
No 1: Peter Meilia (sic) (70) a herd, his wife Bridget (66) and John Maree (sic) (14) a general domestic servant, were the occupants of this house. Peter, Bridget and John were bilingual but could not read. The house had two windows to the front and three people occupied two rooms. There was a stable and a cow house on the holding.
- D Conroy was the name of the landholder where this house was situated.
No 2: Bridget Joyce (32) a farmer, was a widow with six children. Bridget was (11), James (10), Mary (8), Thomas (5), Stephen (3) and William, (1) year old. Bridget Joyce (68), a visitor, was also a widow. Bridget and her children could not read; little Stephen spoke Irish only, the mother and children from age five upward were bilingual. Bridget the visitor could not read, and she too was bilingual. The house had one window in front and eight people occupied two rooms. They had a cow house on the property.
1911 Census: Sranahaw was in the electoral division of Ross, in the sub-district of Leenane. Constable Joseph Carlos collected the census return on the 6th of April 1911. Two 3rd class houses with perishable roofs remained in the townland; there were now only seven inhabitants.
No 1: Bridget Joyce (44) a widow, was married for twelve years and she had six children; four were recorded in this census return. James (20) and Tom (16) were farmer’s sons, Mary (18) did not have an occupation listed and Stephen (14) was a scholar. Stephen could read and write; the others could not read. Bridget and her family spoke Irish and English. The house was 3rd class with two windows in front and five people occupied two rooms. They had a cow house on the premises.
No 2: Thomas Walsh (32) a herd, and his wife Ellen (23) were married for less than a year and did not have children at this time. The couple were bilingual but could not read. The house was 3rd class with two windows in front and Thomas and Ellen had two rooms. They had a fowl house on the holding.
- D Conry (sic) was the name of the landholder where this house was situated.
Add a comment about this page