Derrypark

Doire

Teresa Philbin

Teresa Philbin

Meaning: An Oak Wood

 

Down Survey:  The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world.  The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurements on maps.  It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656.   The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate its redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.

Down Survey not available for Derrypark.

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838:  According to John O’Donovan the name of the townland is Derrypark.    Doire is the Irish form of the name.

Derrypark is the name used in Boundary Surveyors Sketch Map, by Co. Cess Collector, Meresman, Tithe Ledger and is the name used locally. It is in the civil parish of Ballinchalla.

Description:  The proprietor was the Earl of Leitrim and Charlemont Rosshill or Dublin.  The agent was James Fair of Fairhill in Ross parish.  The land all held under lease of £27. 14.7.  per year.  The soil: part mountain, part rough heath pasture, some heath and mixed coarse pasture with some arable land of very poor quality.  The Count Cess of 11¼d was paid per acre half yearly for only four acres.  There is a village situated in the townland; there are no antiquities.

Situation:  Derrypark is situated in the south side of the parish.  It is bounded on the north and east by the townland of Shanvallycahill, on the north by Derry and on the south by Lough Mask.

Griffith’s Valuation 1849: (Ordnance Survey Sheet 13) The Earls of Leitrim and Charlemont leased 279 acres, 1 rood and 21 perches of land that was held in four plots.  The land was divided among tenants, and each paid according to the ratable annual valuation of the property.

Plot 1:  had an area of 114 acres, 1 rood and 10 perches that had two divisions 1(a) and 1(b)

1(a):  John Lydon had a house, office and land.  The land had an annual valuation of £6 and 5 shillings and the buildings were valued at 10 shillings.  His total annual rent was £6 and 15 shillings.

1(b):  John Nally had a house offices and land.  The land had an annual valuation of £6 and 5 shillings and the buildings were valued at 10 shillings.  He too had an annual rent of £6 and 15 shillings.

Plot 2:  had an area of 35 acres and 35 perches and had three tenants, each with the same surname: 2(a), 2(b) and 2(c)

2(a):  Martin Connor had a house and land; the land was valued at £2, and the house was valued at 5 shillings.  His total annual rent was £2 and 5 shillings.

2(b):  James Connor had a house and land.  The land was valued at £2, and the house was valued at 5 shillings.  He too had a total annual rent of £2 and 5 shillings.

2(c):  Brien Connor had a house, office and land.  The land was valued at £2, and the buildings were valued at 8 shillings.  His total annual rent was £2 and 8 shillings.

Plot 3:  had an area of 40 acres, 2 roods and 16 perches that had three divisions: 3(a), 3(b) and 3(c)

3(a):  John Kane had a house and land.  The land had an annual valuation of £2 and the house was valued at 5 shillings.  John’s total annual rent was £2 and 5 shillings.

3(b):  John Duffy had a house, office and land.  The land was valued at £2, and the buildings were valued at 5 shillings.  His total annual rent was £2 and 5 shillings.

3(c):  Michael Joyce had a house and land.  The land was valued at £2, and the house was valued at 5 shillings.  Michael’s total annual rent was £2 and 5 shillings.

Plot 4:  contained 89 acres and 31 perches that was described as bog pasture and was held between six tenants:  Martin Connor, James Connor, Brien Connor, John Kane, John Duffy and Michael Joyce each had an annual payment of £2 for their share in plot 4.

All the above rents were payable to Earls of Leitrim and Charlemont.

1901 Census:  The townland of Derrypark is the parish of Ballinchalla, in the barony of Ross.  Constable Martin Higgins enumerated the 1901 census.  There were seven dwellings, three were 2nd class, four were 3rd class, all had perishable roofs that were most likely thatch.  Twenty-six people resided here, eleven males and fifteen females.  Farming was the main occupation.  All were Roman Catholic.

No 1:  Anthony Canney (65) a married man was an estate bailiff.  His daughter Bridget (23) had no occupation listed.  His son John (22) a caretaker, daughter in law Blendia [sic] (21) a housekeeper and (2) month old granddaughter Mary Kate were also recorded here.  Anthony and Bridget were born in Co. Galway; the others were born in Co. Mayo.  The adults could read and write, and they spoke Irish and English.  The house was 2nd class with four windows in front and five people occupied five rooms.  A variety of outbuildings consisted of a stable, a cowhouse, a calf house, a piggery, a barn and a shed.  Colonel H. T. Clement was the name of the landholder where the house was situated.

No 2:  Richard Lydon (55) a herd, was a widower.  His sons Michael (20) and John (19) were labourers.  All were born in Co. Mayo, none could read, all were bilingual.  The house was 2nd class with two windows to the front and three people occupied two rooms.  There was a cow house and a piggery on the holding.  Colonel H. T. Clement was the name of the landholder where the house was situated.

No 3:  Bridget Derrig (40) a widow was a farmer.  She lived here with her son Michael (19) a farm labourer and her daughter Mary (12) a scholar.  All were born in Co. Mayo; they could read and write and were bilingual.  The house was 3rd class and Bridget and her children occupied two rooms.  There was a piggery on the property.

No 4:  Mary Lydon (63) a widow, lived here with her two children.  Mary (25) was a farmer’s daughter and Martin (23) a farmer’s son.  Martin could read and write, his mother and sister could not read, all were bilingual and were born in Co. Mayo.  The house was 3rd class with one window in front and three people occupied two rooms.  There was a piggery on the premises.

No 5:  Honor Coyne (50) a farmer, was not married.  Her nephew Stephen Flaherty (38) was single, and his occupation was not recorded.  Both were born in Co. Mayo, neither could read, Honor spoke Irish only, Stephen was bilingual.  The house was 3rd class and two people occupied two rooms.  One outbuilding contained a piggery.

No 6:  Pat Coyne (35) a farmer, his wife Ellen (22) and six children lived here.  Due to Ellen’s age (1) month old Margaret listed first, may have been the couple’s first born of the current marriage.  Michael (15) and Thomas (13) were farmer’s sons, Bridget (11), Mary (9) and Kate (6) were scholars.  Pat was born in Co. Galway; Ellen and all the children were born in Co. Mayo.  Pat and his sons could not read, Ellen, Bridget and Mary could read and write, all spoke Irish and English.  The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and the family of eight occupied two rooms.  There was a piggery on the property.

No 7:  Kate Connor (81) a widow and her daughter Margaret (20) were farmers.  They were born in Co. Mayo, neither could read and they spoke Irish only.  The house was 3rd class with one window to the front and mother and daughter occupied two rooms.  There was a piggery on the property.

1911 Census:  Constable John Reilly enumerated the census return on the 6th of April 1911.  There were six dwellings in the townland and five of these were occupied.  Three were 2nd class, one 3rd class and one 4th class, three had perishable roofs that were most likely thatch.    Twenty-one people resided here, nine males and twelve females, all Roman Catholic.  Farming, herding and labouring were the main occupations.

Ten years on, the census was expanded to include the following: Particulars as to Marriage / completed years the present marriage has lasted / children born alive to present marriage and children still living.  Sadly, many families experienced the loss of one or more children.  Overcrowding and lack of facilities must have presented huge difficulties for families.

No 1:  Bridget Derrig (50) a farmer was married for thirty-three years, and she had seven children, four were still living.  Her son Michael (32) a farmer’s son was single at the time.  Both were born in Co. Galway; they could read and write and were bilingual.  The house was 4th class and they occupied one room.  One outhouse contained a piggery.

No 2: Mary Lydon (78) a widow was a farmer.  She was married for forty-five years, and she had eight children, six were still living and three were recorded here.  Patrick (40), and Martin (30) were farmer’s sons, Mary (35) had no occupation listed.  Mary seniors (1) year old granddaughter Mary Monaghan was listed, she and her grandmother were born in Co. Mayo, the others were born in Co. Galway.  Martin could read and write, the others could not read, the adults spoke Irish and English.  The house was 3rd class with two widows in front and five people occupied two rooms.  Three outbuildings consisted of a cow house, a piggery and a fowl house.

No 3:  Patrick Coyne (47) a farmer and his wife Ellen (33) were married for eleven years, and they had six children, four were still living; Annie (8) and Nora (6) were scholars, John was (2) and infant Margaret (7) months old.  Patrick’s mother-in-law Anne Malley (66) a widow was married for forty-six years, and she had five children, three were still living.  Patrick, Ellen and Anne Malley were born in Co. Galway, the children were born in Co. Mayo. Ellen and Annie could read and write, Patrick and Anne could not read, and she spoke Irish only, the others were bilingual.  The house was 2nd class with three windows in front and seven people occupied two rooms.  There was a cow house and a piggery on the premises.

No 4:  Richard Lydon (72) a farmer was a widower.  His son John (25) a farmer’s son was single.  Both were born in Co. Galway.  Richard could not read, John could read and write, both spoke Irish and English.  The house was 2nd class with two windows to the front and father and son occupied two rooms.  There was a cow house on the property.

No 5:  John Canney [sic] (31) a farmer and his wife Blinda (sic) (31) were married for eleven years, and they had three children; Mary (10) and Anthony (9) were scholars and Bridget was (5) years old.  The couple were born in Co. Galway and their children were born in Co. Mayo.  The parents and scholars could read and write, all spoke Irish and English.  The house was 2nd class with four windows to the front and the family of five occupied five rooms.  Four outbuildings contained a stable, a cowhouse, a piggery and a shed.

No 6:  A private dwelling was vacant.  John Mulroe was the name of the landholder where the building was situated.

This page was added on 17/08/2022.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *