Translation: White Hill
The Down Survey: The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurements on maps. It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate its redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
No Down Survey information available for this townland (10/02/2022).
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838: John O’Donovan tells us that the standard name for the townland is Knockaunbaun and the Irish form of the name Cnocán Bán’ means white hillock.
Other forms of the name: Knockaunbaun, Cnocán Bán, Cruckaunawannia (Boundary Surveyors Sketch Map), Knuckaunwauna (County Cess Collector), Knuckaun – waun (Mearsman) Part of Glanglosh (Rev. Michael Heraghty P.P.), Knockaunbane (Tithe Ledger).
Description: The proprietor was Thomas Martin, Esq., M.P for London or Ballynahinch, Cunamarra (sic). The agent was Mr. T Morris, Dublin. Rent of … (amount not specified). The soil consisted of some steep heathy pasture, some coarse mixed pasture, same at the valley. Part consisted of a green mountain, some arable mixed mountain pasture, a little tillage, oats middling but potatoes not good. The County Cess of 11¼d was paid per acre, half yearly for 39 acres.
Situation: Knockaunbaun is situated in the south side of the parish; bounded on the north by the townlands of Derreen, west by Pound Cartron and Gowlaunalee, to the south by the parish of Moyrus and the townland of Baurslievnaroy, and on the east by Maumgownagh and Derreen. It is in the barony of Ross and is in Co. Galway.
Griffith’s Valuation 1849: According to Griffith’s Valuation, Knockaunbaun had an area of 1,234 acres and 24 perches. The land value at the time was £24.14.10.
Directors of the Law Assurance Co. were the immediate lessors of 1,234 acres, 2 roods and 16 perches of land. This plot was leased between two tenants; 1(a) and 1(b), each paid an annual rent according to the size and quality of their holding.
Plot 1(a): Patrick Laffey had a house, offices and land. His piece of land had an annual valuation of £19 and 10 shillings. The buildings had an annual valuation of 15 shillings. Patrick’s total annual rent was £20 and 5 shillings.
Plot 1(b): Michael Laffey had a house offices and land. His portion of land had an annual valuation of £6 and 10 shillings and the buildings had an annual valuation of 10 shillings. Michael’s total annual rent was £7.
1901 Census: The townland of Knockaunbaun is in the electrol district of Letterbrickaun, in the barony and parish of Ross, in Co. Galway. Constable John Phelan collected the census return on the 4th of April 1901. There were two houses in the townland at the time; one 2nd and one 3rd class dwelling, both with perishable roofs that were most likely thatch. Sixteen people resided here: seven males and nine females. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic.
No 1: Peter Joyce (61) a farmer and his wife Mary (45) lived with their two sons and three daughters. Tobias (20) and Patrick (18) were farmer’s sons; Annie (19) and Sara (16) were farmer’s daughters and Kate (12) was a scholar. All the family could read and write, and they spoke Irish and English. The house was 2nd class with four windows in front and the family of seven occupied six rooms. Five out offices contained a stable, a coach house, a cow house, a piggery and a fowl house.
No 2: Patrick Joyce (37) his wife Bridget (31), their six children and his aunt Bridget were the occupants of this house. Mary (10), Bridget (9) and Martin (8) were scholars; John was (6), Patrick (2) and infant Anne (2) months old. Aunt Bridget Joyce (55) a single woman was a boarder. Scholars Mary and Bridget could read and write, and Martin could read. Patrick, his wife and his aunt could not read; his wife spoke Irish only, the others were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with two windows to the front and nine people occupied two rooms. They had a cow house on the holding. Peter Joyce was the name of the landholder where the house was situated.
1911 Census: Constable Patrick Henaghan the enumerator collected the census return for Knockaunbawn (sic) in the electoral district of Letterbrickaun, (sic) and in the sub district of Maam, on the 7th of April 1911. Eleven people lived in the townland: seven males and four females. One was born in Co. Mayo; the remainder were born in Co. Galway
Ten years on, the census was expanded to include the following: Particulars as to Marriage / completed years the present marriage has lasted / children born alive to present marriage and children still living. It reveals that many families experienced the loss of one or more children. Overcrowding and lack of facilities must have presented huge struggles.
No 1: Martin Coyne (74) a shepherd was a widower. His son John (51) also a shepherd, was married to Mary (51) for twenty years and they had seven children; two were still living; John (18) a labourer and Thomas (11) a scholar. Thomas was the only one in the family that could read and write at this time. Martin spoke Irish only; the others were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with three windows in front and five people occupied two rooms. They had a cow house and a piggery on the holding. Peter Joyce was the name of the landholder where the house was situated.
No 2: Peter Joyce (74) and his wife Mary (67) were married for thirty years, and they had seven children; three were still living and Patrick (28) a farmer’s son was recorded. Peter’s two nieces; Kate Scott (17) and Kate Mary O’Neill (7) were listed here. Michael Joyce (19) an agricultural labourer was a servant. Kate Mary and Michael could not read; the others could read and write. All but Kate Mary were bilingual. The house was 2nd class with four windows in front and six people occupied six rooms. A variety of out offices consisted of a stable, a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a potato house.