Translation: rough head, caput asperum.
The Down Survey: The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurements on maps. It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate its redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
The Down Survey name for this townland was Dromandiaght Cartron Begg. In 1641 (pre-Cromwell) the owners were James Darcy and James Darcey (sic). It is in the half barony of Rosse (sic) in the parish of Rosse and is in Co. Galway.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838: John O’Donovan tells us the standard name for the townland is Cangarrow and Ceann Garbh is the Irish form of the name and it means ‘rough head’.
Other forms of the name: Cangarrow, Ceann Garbh, Kangarrow (Boundary Surveyor’s Sketch Map) Congarrough (Co. Cess Collector), Cangarrow (County Map), Cangorriv (Local), Cangorruv (Mearsman), Cangarraugh (Rev. Michael Heraghty P.P.), Cangarriff (Tithe Ledger).
Description: According to O’Donovan it was Provost land that was held under lease by John Fair, Esq., of Rathmines, Dublin. The agents name is not listed. The soil was mountainous; some steep heath and rocky; part arable, part mixed and heath pasture with some arable mountain. There was no village but a shepherd’s house and the rent is not specified. The Co. Cess of 11¼d was paid per acre, half yearly for 60 acres. The townland takes its name from its appearance. There are no antiquities.
Situation: A central townland; bounded on the north by the townlands of Cummer and Lough na Fooey, on the west by Curraveervaugh, to the south by Lecarrow, Toorloggagh and Drin and on the east by Cummer. It is in the barony of Ross and is in Co. Galway.
Inisraha / Inis Reíthe described as a precipice where ravens used to build their nests and breed, is situated in the townland of Cangarrow.
Griffith’s Valuation 1849: Ordnance Survey Sheet 13, 25 & 20. Griffith’s Valuation reveals it had an area of 543 acres and 11 perches. Land value at the time was £9.19.4.
Robert Phayre (sic) had a herd’s house, and a plot that contained 543 acres, 2 roods and 3 perches of land that he leased among three tenants: (1), (2) & (3)
1: The land had a ratable annual valuation of £10 and 5 shillings; the herds house had an annual valuation of 5 shillings and the total annual valuation was £10 and 10 shillings. (1) Peter Malia, (2) Thomas Malia and (3) Michael Walsh had equal shares of the holding. Each tenant had a rent of £3 and 10 shillings for their share. This amount of rent was payable annually to Robert Phayre.
1901 Census: Constable Patrick McShane the enumerator collected the census return for Cangarrow, in the constabulary district of Clonbur and the sub-district of America Hut on the 8th April 1901. There was one 3rd class house with a perishable roof that was presumably thatch. Michael Walsh and Peter O’Malley were the names of the landholders where this house was situated.
No 1: Andrew Lydon (27) a herd, and his wife Anne (21) were resident here. They were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Neither could read; both were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with two windows in front and the couple occupied two rooms. There were no outbuildings on the holding.
No online census available for 1911 for this townland. (11/10/19).