Coill Beag meaning small wood
According to O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838, the standard name given to the townland was Kilbeg Lower and Coill Beag was its official Irish name. This village was also known as Kelbeg Lower (County Cess Collector, Local, Meresman, Rev. Michl. Heraghty, P.P,Tithe Ledger), na Coille Bige Íochtair (Logainm.ie) and An Choill Bheag Íochtair (Logainm.ie).
According to Coimisiúin na Logainmneacha (logainm.ie), Kilbeg Lower had two islands, a field and an ecclesiastical site. The two islands were called Pigs Island Small (Oileáin na Muice) and Big Island (An tOileán Mor), the field was called Gortnahaglish (Gort na hEaglaise) and the ecclesiastical site was an abbey called Rosshill Abbey (Mainistir Chnoc Rois).
This townland is located in the east side of the parish. It is bounded on the north by Lough Mask, bounded on the west by the townlands of Cappaghnagoppul and Kilbeg Upper, bounded on the south by Kilbeg Upper and Rusheen West and bounded on the east by Clonbur and Ross Hill.
The Down Survey was a cadastral survey of Ireland carried out by William Petty, English scientist in 1655 and 1656.The survey was apparently called the ‘‘Down Survey’ by Petty because the results were set down in maps; ‘admeasurement down’ was used; it is referred to by that name in Petty’s will”. (Wikipedia). The name used by the Down Survey was Killbeg. In 1641, the owner of this townland was Ulick earl of Clanricard Burke who was a Catholic and Earl of Clanrickard who was a Protestant. In 1670 the owners stayed the same. It was not stated for this village how much profitable, unprofitable or forfeited land there was.
O’ Donovan’s (1838):
In 1838, the proprietors for this village were the Earls of Leitrim and Charlemont. The agent was Mr. James Fair of Fairhil. This village was completely held by the proprietors. The townland was composed of 147 acres, 0 roods and 12 perches according to O’ Donovan’s Field Name Books (1838). The soil was all good and most of it was used for pasture. The Co. Cess paid 12½ d. per acre for 60 acres. This townland contained part of Rosshill Demesne. This townland also has a number of islands on Lough according to O Donovan’s Field Name Books, the islands were Illaun Baun, Illaunmore, Corrigeanchunna and Innishrehna. This townland also has Rosshill Lodge which is positioned on the North West corner of Kilbeg Lower.
According to Griffith’s Valuation, Kilbeg Lower had a total acreage of 148 acres, 1 rood and 0 perches. The total valuation for this plot was £112.15s.0d. Earls of Leitrim and Charlemont were the immediate lessors for this townland. This townland was divided into 3 plots.
Plot 1 was composed of 102 acres, 3 roods and 17 perches. This plot belonged to Earls of Leitrim and Charlemont. Total valuation for this plot was £86.0s.0d.
Plot 1 Earls of Leitrim and Charlemonthad a house, office and land. The land was valued at £71.0s.0d. and the buildings were valued at £15.0s.0d. Total valuation for this plot was £86.0s.0d.
Plot 2 was composed of 9 acres, 1 rood and 23 perches. This plot belonged to Rev. Edw. G. O’ Grady. Total valuation for this plot was £8.15s.0d.
Plot 2 Rev. Edw. G. O’ Gradyhad land valued at £8.15s.0d. Total valuation for this plot was £8.15s.0d.
Plot 3 comprised of 36 acres, 0 roods and 0 perches. This plot belonged to Anthony Coyne. Total valuation for this plot was £18.0s.0d.
Plot 3 Anthony Coyne had land valued at £18.0s.0d. Total valuation for this plot was £18.0s.0d.
The 1901 Census states that were 2 buildings in this village and one was inhabited. House numbered 2 was not inhabited and the landowner was Lord Ardilaun. There were two males and one female in this village and everyone in this village was Church of Ireland according to the Enumerator Abstract (Form N) and census forms. There was a cow house in this village according to the Return of Out-offices and Farm-Steadings (Form B2).
House 1-Thomas and Catherine Munro
Thomas (68) and Catherine (62) Munro resided in house 1 with their son , William (27),. Thomas was a caretaker and William was an assistant caretaker. Everyone in this household could read and write and spoke Irish and English. Catherine was born in Roscommon, the rest of the household was born in Galway. They lived in a 2ndclass house with three rooms. They had a cow house. The landowner for this household was Lord Ardilaun.
Ten years later the census questions were expanded to include the following: Particulars as to Marriage (which included – completed years the present marriage has lasted, children born alive to present marriage, total children born alive to this marriage, and children still living). There were two buildings in this village and one was inhabited. House numbered 2 was not inhabited and was owned by Lord Ardilaun. This household had four stables, two coach houses, one turf house and one shed according to the Return of Out-offices and Farm-Steadings (Form B2). There was no mention of the Munro household (household numbered one in 1901) in the 1911 census. There was one new household called the Huggard household in the 1911 census. Everyone in this village was Church of Ireland. There were two males and one female in this village. There were four stables, two coach houses, one cow house, one fowl house, one turf house and one shed.
House 1- Robert and Jesse Huggard
Robert (59) and Jesse (55) Huggard resided in house 1, this was a new household in Kilbeg Lower in 1911, with their son, Percy A.(15). Robert and Jesse were married for 30 years, had seven children and seven of them survived until 1911. Robert stated his occupation as an ‘ex Serg. R.I.C. on Pension’ (as per transcribed from 1911 census). Percy A. was a scholar. Everyone in this household could read and write. Robert spoke Irish and English. Jesse and Percy A. spoke English only. Robert was born in Kerry, Jesse was born in Tipperary and Percy A. was born in Galway. They lived in a 2ndclass house with three rooms. They had a cow house and a fowl house. The landowner for this household was Lord Ardilaun.