Translation: Nenan’s Bush
The Down Survey:
The Down Survey of Ireland carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656 is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The Down Survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details being all laid down by admeasurement on maps. The survey sought to define legal property boundaries and measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish in order to facilitate it’s redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
The Down Survey revealed yet another variation of the name for the townland of Tumneenaun; it was recorded as Tumninan. In 1641 the owner was Sir Thomas Blake a Protestant, and in 1670 the owner was another Protestant by the name of John Brown, Dublin College. He was the Provost of Trinity College Dublin at the time. Tumninan (sic) was described as being in the half Barony of Ross and in the Parish of Cong. There was 77 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 231 acres of profitable land and the profitable land was forfeited.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books (1838):
There were many forms of the name for this townland when O’Donovan’s Survey of Field Name Books was published in 1838. It gives the following listing of spellings; Tumneenaun, Tom Naonáin, Tumninane (map of property 1760), Tumnanine (Leases 1837), Tumninane (Map of Property 1815), Tumneenaun (Boundary Surveyors Sketch Map), Thomneeaun (County Map), Tumneenaun (Meresman), Tomneenane (Tithe Ledger), Tumneenane (Rev. Michael Waldron, P.P.), Thumneenaun (Local), Thumneenaun (County Cess Collector). In addition to these names, Fr. Michael Flannery suggests Tuaim Naoinéain – means a children’s burial plot and the farm yard that is situated above Ebor Hall is built on this graveyard.
According to Coimisiúin na Logainmneacha (logainm.ie) Tumneenaun (Tom Naíonán) had one minor feature, Lisín na Catharach/Lisheennacahergh.
The village is situated in the south side of the Civil Parish of Cong and in the Barony of Ross. It is bounded on the north by the townland of Gortnarup, on the west by Ballard; on the east by Dooroy and on the south by Lough Corrib.
According to O’Donovan the townland was under the proprietorship of the Provost of Trinity College, Dublin. The agent was Alexander Nesbitt, Jnr., Esq., with an address at no 96 Stephens Green, South Dublin. The lands were all held under lease by Mr. James Fair, Jnr., Fairhill, and sublet to tenants. The rents ranged from 12 ½ to 21 shillings per acre with Mr. Fairs rent being bulked at £50 yearly.
O’Donovan described the soil as light, producing light crops of potatoes and oats. The farms ranged in size from 4 ½ to 25acres. The county assessment for the property was 11 ¼ d. paid per acre half yearly for 154 acres. There was a bridge across a river between this townland and Ballard and neither was named. He mentions a fort called Lisskeennaearragh (Lisín na Catharach) and Innishhamweean Island.
Griffiths Valuation (1855):
At the time of Griffith’s Valuation 1855, William Booth held three townlands in the parish of Cong , and townlands in each of the parishes of Kilmainbeg and Kilmainmore in the Barony of Kilmaine, Co. Mayo. These lands were part of the estates of D’Arcy of Ballykine and ffrench of Claremont, Co. Roscommon, sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1852. Lane contends that Booth sold them on to Joseph Skerrett Blake of Lissavally in 1857.
Plot 1: The townland of Tumneenaun (sic) (Ordnance Sheet 27) had an area of 300 acres that William Booth leased from the Provost and Fellows of Trinity Collage Dublin. According to Griffiths Valuation 1855, Mr.Boothe (sic) was the sole occupier of the townland that had a total acreage of 300 acres with the annual rateable valuation of £124. He built Ebor Hall on lands leased from the Provost of Trinity College. The Description of Tenement states that there was a house, steward’s house and offices on the land. The Rateable Annual Valuation was £94 for the land and £30 for the buildings. Mr Booth’s total annual valuation of rateable property in Tumneenaun was £124.
The 1901 census were collected by Constable Hugh Daly the enumerator on the 10thof April 1901. The records show there were nine houses in Tumneenane; eight were inhabited and one was unoccupied. Seven houses had perishable roofs that were probably thatch and one had a slate roof. One was 1stclass, four were 2ndclass and three were 3rdclass dwellings. Thirty three occupants were recorded for this townland; eighteen were male and fifteen female. John Joyce in house seven was born in County Mayo, the remainder were born in County Galway. All were Roman Catholic.
No1 – Michael and Catherine Corbett: Michael (45) and his wife Catherine (44) and their five children were the occupants of this house. Michael was listed as shopkeeper and farmer. Michael could not read or write and his wife could not read. Daughter Mary (12) and sons Michael (11) and Patrick (7) were scholars. Mary and Michael could read and write. Thomas (9), Patrick (7) and Margaret (5) could not read and write. The family spoke Irish and English. The house was 2ndclass with three windows in front and the family of seven occupied three rooms. They had a cow house on the property.
No 2 – Patrick and Julia Mannion: Patrick (60) a farmer, his wife Julia (71) and their daughter Bridget (18) lived here. Patrick and Julia could not read or write while Bridget could read and write. No occupation was listed for her. The family were bilingual. The house was 3rdclass house with two windows in front and three members of the family shared three rooms. They had a cow house and barn on the premises.
No 3 – Patrick and Kate Philban(sic):Patrick (60) and his wife Kate (60) lived with their sons Thomas (30) and Michael (21). Farming was Patrick’s occupation; Thomas was a carpenter and Michael’s occupation was not documented. The family were bilingual but could not read or write. The house was 3rdclass with two windows to the front and four family members occupied three rooms. They had a cow house, a piggery and a barn on the holding.
No 4 – John and Ellen Sweeney: John (30) a farmer and his wife Ellen (27) resided in this house with their three children; Bridget (3), Mary (2) and infant Margaret 8 months old. John and Ellen could read or write and they spoke Irish and English. John Joyce (80) was a visitor at their home and he too was bilingual. The house was 3rdclass house with two windows in front and the family occupied two rooms. There were no outbuildings on the property.
No 5 – Patrick and Bridget Sweeney: Patrick (62) and his wife Bridget (60) were farmers. Irish was their spoken language and they could not read. The house was 2ndclass with three windows in front and the couple had the use of three rooms. They had a cow house and a barn on the premises.
No 6 – Margaret Corbett: Margaret (65) a married farmer was head of the household. She lived with her son David (29) and her daughter Mary (26) who were both single and did not have an occupation recorded for them. Margaret could not read or write; her children could read and write and the family were bilingual. The house was 2ndclass with three windows to the front and three people shared two rooms. They had a cow house, a piggery and a barn on the holding.
No 7 – Martin and Bridget Joyce: Martin (64) a farmer, born in County Mayo was married to Bridget (55) and they resided in this house with their five children; William was (30) Stephen (26), John (24), Bridget (20) and Martin (16) years old. William was a farm servant while the other children had no occupations listed for them. Martin and his wife Bridget spoke Irish only and could not read; their family could read and write and were bilingual. The house was 2ndclass with three windows in front and seven family members shared four rooms. They had a stable on the holding.
No 8 – Patrick Kearney: Patrick (27) a single man was head of the household and he worked as a gardener. He could read and write and spoke Irish and English. The house was a1stclass dwelling with a slate roof and it had twelve windows to the front. In sharp contrast to other homesteads in the area, this house had twenty one rooms and Patrick was the sole occupant at the time. There were also sixteen outbuildings on the property; five stables, two coach houses, a harness room, a cow house, a piggery, a fowl house, a boiling house, a turf house, a potato house, a shed and a store. J. D. Hamilton was the name of the landholder where the house and out offices were situated.
No 9 – This house was uninhabited and Patrick Sweeney was the name of the landholder where the building was situated.
Constable Thomas Walsh collected the census returns on the 4thApril 1911. Ten years on from the last census, the forms for 1911were expanded to include Particulars as to Marriage, completed years the present marriage had lasted, children born alive to present marriage, and children still living. The final column had a list of infirmities to include Deaf and Dumb; Dumb only; Blind; Imbecile or Idiot; or Lunatic. (However when one was widowed or was a widower, the information on the number of children born to the couple or the duration of the marriage was not recorded). The 1911census show there were nine houses in Tumneenane; eight were occupied and one was vacant. There was one 1stclass, six 2ndclass and one 3rdclass dwelling; three had slate roofs and the remainder had perishable roofs that were probably thatch. Thirty five people lived in this area of which seventeen were male and eighteen were female. All were Roman Catholic.
No 1 – David and Bridget Corbett: David Corbett (40) and his wife Bridget (35) lived with their two young daughters. David a farmer was married to Bridget for four years and they had two children; Bridget (3) and Margaret (1 year) old. The parents spoke Irish and English and could read and write. The house was 2ndclass and had three windows to the front and the family of four occupied three rooms. They had a stable on the holding.
No 2 – Michael and Catherine Corbett: Michael Corbett (53) a farmer and his wife Catherine (53) were married for twenty five years and they had five children, two were still living. Michael (22) and Patrick (18) were farmer’s sons. The family could read and write and spoke Irish and English. The house was 2ndclass and had three windows in front and four family members shared three rooms. They had three outbuildings; a stable, a piggery and a barn.
No 3 – Thomas and Catherine Philbin: Thomas Philbin (40) was a farmer and a carpenter and he was married to Catherine (25) for one year. Thomas could not read while his wife could read and write and both were bilingual. The house was listed as 2ndclass; it had a slate roof and five windows to the front and was newly built circa1908/1909. The couple had the use of six rooms. Thomas had a workshop on the property.
No 4 – Patrick Philbin: Patrick Philbin (69) a widower lived with his son Michael (33). Patrick worked as a farmer and Michael was listed as a farmer’s son. They were bilingual but could not read. The house was 3rd class with two windows to the front and the father and son occupied three rooms. They had a cow house and a piggery on the property.
No 5 – John and Bridget Joyce: John Joyce (27) a farmer and his wife Bridget (28) were married for four years and they had two children. Thomas was (3) and the infant Mary was (7) months old. John and Bridget could read and write and spoke Irish and English. The house was 2ndclass and had three windows in front. The couple and their children shared three rooms. They had a stable and a cow house on the holding.
No 6 – John and Ellen Sweeney: John Sweeney (42) was a farmer and he was married to Ellen (43) for fourteen years. They had nine children; Bridget (13), Mary (12), Margaret (11) and Patrick (9) were scholars, Ellen was (6), Michael (5), Catherine (3), Annie (2) and Michael was (1) year old. The parents and school going children could read and write and the family were bilingual. The house was 2ndclass with three windows to the front and eleven members of the family occupied three rooms. They had two stables on the property.
No7 – Dr. Joseph Boyd and Ellen Boyd: Dr. Joseph Boyd (54) was a medical doctor and general practitioner. He was married to Ellen (39) for twenty two years and they had two children. Dr. Boyd was born in County Roscommon and his wife was born in Liverpool. Their daughter Zita (12) and son Michael (8) were born in County Galway. Annie Jinks (36) born in London was part of the household and her occupation was listed as nurse and domestic servant. Mary Kyne (16) was born in County Galway and worked with the family as a cook and domestic servant. All members of this household could read and write and Mary Kyne was bilingual. They were all Roman Catholic. The house was1stclass with six windows in front and six people occupied twenty two rooms. There were twelve outbuildings on the premises; a stable, a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, two piggeries, a fowl house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house, a shed and a laundry.
No 8 – Martin Joyce: Martin Joyce (76) a farmer was a widower and he lived with his son Stephen (32). He spoke Irish only and could not read. His son was listed as a farmer’s son and he could read and write and was bilingual. The house was 2ndclass with a slate roof and it had six windows to the front. The father and son occupied three rooms.
No 9 –The house was uninhabited and there were six outbuildings on the premises; one was a coach house and five were recorded as stores on The Out – Offices and Farm – Steadings Return (Form B2). Dr. Joseph Boyd was the name of the landholder where the house and outbuildings were situated.