O’Donovan’s Ordnance Survey Field Name Books, 1838, gives other spellings for this townland. They are: Drimsnaav (Boundary Surveyors Sketch Map); Drumsnad & Drimasnave (Meresman); Drimsnav (Local, Tithe Ledger, Rev. Mich. Waldron, P.P and County Cess Collector).
This townland is in the South side of the Parish, bounded on the North by the townland of Claggin (sic), known locally as Cluggam. The boundary on the West, South and East is Lough Corrib. This townland is in the Barony of Ross and in the County of Galway.
This townland was the property of Captain John Brice Blake, Esq., 47th Regt. of foot. His agent was Mr. James Butler, Drumsnav. The rent was £58. 8s. 0d, bulked yearly. The total area of this townland, according to the Griffith’s Valuation was 486 acres and 25 perches. It has been described in O’Donovan’s Survey as “Soil, a high ridge of mountain, all heathy and mixed pasture having the village and greatest part of tillage on south side, at foot of mountain, also some arable mountain towards the northern extremity. Antiquities include a holywell, Tubbereena, Cuslaunnakirka (or Caisleán na Circe, locally – one of the homes of the famed pirate-queen Grace O’Malley); Doon, Carthron, Doon Cottage, a Quay, Attheeduf, Shindella. 6 rocks:- Corrigeenee, Fronadthoona, Illaunshrue, Corgeens. The crops were not good. There was a well and Cloggum Mere.
Griffiths Valuation (1850’s):
(On Ordnance Survey map 39) As was mentioned above, there were a total of 486 acres and 25 perches in this townland. Plot 1 contained three occupiers. These were John B. Blake, owner and whose house, office, and land amounted to 474 acres and 13 perches. The rateable Annual Valuation for the land in this case was £68. and the value of the buildings was stated as £12. The second occupier of this plot was the Rev. William Kennedy, who paid his rents to John B. Blake, totalling £6. for house and offices. The Rev. William Kennedy was also the person responsible for the rates on another building, the school house, which amounted to £3. annually, but this tariff was deemed exempt from payment. Plot number 2 in this townland, was occupied by Augustus Lowry and the rents were paid to John B. Blake in the amount of £2.15s., of which £2.10s. was for land and the remaining £0.5s. for the house.
This was one of the residences of Lord Ardilaun of Clontarf, Co. Dublin and was uninhabited on the night of the census of 1901. There were six outbuildings in total – a stable, a Coach House, a Harness Room, a Cow House, a Turf House and a shed. There were no details or description on Form B1 of the Ennumerators Reports, so we can’t tell exactly how many rooms, or windows there were on this house, or indeed what class of house it was.
The residence of William and Frances Maclean were all Church of Ireland. William (59), Frances (57), Rosalie (22), William (21), George (18), John (16), Elsie (13) and Thomas (9) could all read and write. The family spoke only English and while all of the children were born in County Galway, William and Frances were born in County Longford. William (Snr) was a Land Steward and the children were all scholars. Their 2nd class house had likely a slate roof, and four rooms for the eight occupants. They had no outbuildings.
Patrick (63) and Mary Salmon (58), together with their daughter Henrietta (25) were a Church of Ireland family. They could all read and write and Patrick was (Irish Church Missions) a Schoolmaster who was born in County Waterford, though Mary and Henrietta were born in County Galway. They had a slate roof, three windowed, two-roomed house, with no outbuildings.
This property was owned by the Castlekirk Irish Church Mission School.
Charles James Mac Donald (46), B.A. TCD. Clerk in Holy Orders and Incumbent of Castle Kirk lived in this house with his wife, Christina (42), and their three daughters and one son. The children were Ida Eileen (17), Matilda Kate (15), Olive Constance (14), and Charles James (9). These were all scholars. John O’Flatharty (15) was their farm servant and could also read and write. Winnifred Reilly (17) was the family’s domestic and could not read. She, together with Christina and the children spoke only English. John and Charles James senior both spoke Irish and English. Charles James was born in County Galway, Christina was born in County Dublin. Their three daughters were born in County Mayo and their son was born in County Galway, as were the servants. Their twelve room house had seven windows, and a slate roof, together with a stable, a coach house, a cow house and a shed. On Form B1, Outhouse and building return Charles is noted as the Rev. Chas J. MacDonald.
William Lowery (80) and his wife Sarah (50) lived with their three daughters and two sons, these were: Bridget (20), Patrick (19), Wennifred (sic) (16) and Margaret (14), and the youngest William (11), and William Senior’s grandnephew William Mulroe (2). The family were all Roman Catholic and spoke both Irish and English. All could read and write except the baby, and William Senior who was a farmer could not write. Young Margaret and William were scholars. Their 2nd class, eight room house had a perishable roof, likely thatch. All were born in County Galway. They had a cow house and a piggery.
Mary Coyne (60) lived in this house with her son Thomas (30), her grandson Michael Coyne (9) and her sister Barbara Coyne (65) Mary lived in a 2nd class house, with three rooms and a perishable roof. Her landlady was Jane Sullivan of Cloonbrone. They had a cow house and a piggery.
This was the Castle Kirk Church.
The home of William (69) and Frances Maclean (66) who had been married for 42 years and had ten children, of whom nine survived, they now lived with their grand daughter Sophia Frances Lyons (17), a scholar. William was an Ex Sergeant R.I.C. They were still in a 1st class house with ten rooms and the rent was paid to Lord Ardilaun. There were ten outbuildings attached to this residence: three stables, a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, a fowl house, a turf house, a store and a laundry.
William (36) and Mary (33) Murphy lived in this house with their six children, five daughters and one son. The girls were: Mary (10), Bridget (9), Margaret (7), Nappie (2) and Catherine (6 months). Their only son was Patrick (5). They had been married for thirteen years and of the seven children born of the marriage, six had survived. The father and the three younger children could not read or write. All were Roman Catholic and all were born in County Galway. The house was a 2nd class home with a perishable roof, three windows and three rooms. Rent was paid to Jane Sullivan of Cloonbroone. The property also had a cow house and a piggery.
Charles Heaslop (57), Clerk in Holy Orders, Retired Chaplain, N.I. R.N. was Protestant Episcopalian, as were his two daughters who resided with him. He was also married, however there is no mention of his wife on Form A. His daughters, Phedora (32) and Viola (31) were born in County Galway and County Mayo, respectively. Their servant/gardener was Michael Folan (28) was born in County Galway and he was Roman Catholic. Charles was born in County Dublin. All household members could read and write, however, there is no information as to their usage of either Irish or English. This was a 1st class house, with eight windows in front and eight rooms. The Reverend Charles Heaslop owned his property which boasted a stable, a coach house, a fowl house and a cow house.
William Lowery (90) and his wife, Sarah (63) lived with their son Patrick (30) and their grandson, William Mulroe (12), a scholar. All were Roman Catholic and spoke both Irish and English, although William could not read or write. William and Sarah had been married for forty years and of the nine children born of the marriage, six had survived. Theirs was a 2nd class house with a perishable roof, three windows to the front and a total of three rooms. William owned his own land which had a cow house, a pig house and a fowl house.
This was the Protestant Church on the lands of Lord Ardilaun.
Comments about this page
Re John Brice BLAKE: The name of the owner of the townland of Drumsnauv at the time of Griffith’s Valuation was Captain John Brice (not “Bruce”) Blake (1811–1858) formerly of the 47th Regiment of Foot. His mother was the former Rose Brice (1785–??), second wife of Sir John Blake, 11th Baronet of Menlough (Menlo), Galway. Rose Brice and John Blake married on 20 October 1800. She was descended from the first Presbyterian Minister in Ireland, Edward Brice. Rose’s parents were Edward Brice (1748–1815) of Kilroot, County Antrim and Theodora MULLINS (d. 1807).
Add a comment about this page