Dooletter

Dúibhleitir

Tomas O Flatharta

Tomas O Flatharta
My location
Get Directions

Dooletter/Dúibhleitir meaning black letter or spewy hillside

 

Names:

According to O’Donovans Field Name Books 1838, the standard name given to this townland was Dooletter and Dúibhleitir was its official Irish name.  Other names given to this townland was Dhuletther (By. Surveyors Sketch Map), Doolitter (County Cess Collector, Mearsman), Dhuvletter (Local) and Dúleitir (Logainm.ie).

 

Situation:

Dooletter is located on the north side of the Ross parish. This townland is bounded on the north by Maumtrasna and Ph. Aughagower, bounded west by Shannafarraghaun, bounded south by Loughafooey, bounded east by Maumtrasna.

 

Description

Down Survey: The Down Survey was a cadastral survey of Ireland carried out by William Petty, English scientist in 1655 and 1656.The survey was apparently called the “Down Survey” by Petty because the results were set down in maps; ‘admeasurement down’ was used; it is referred to by that name in Petty’s will”. (Wikipedia).  There was no townland information available for this townland currently (Accessed 17th June 2020).

 

O’Donovan’s(1838):  The proprietor for this townland was Earl of Leitrim and Charlemont in the parish of Ross and Dublin.  The agent for this townland was Mr. James Fair, Fairhil.  This village was held under lease by the agent.  The rent was £22.11s.9d. per year.  The Co. Cess paid 11 ¼ d. per acre for 68 acres.  The soil was all mountain.  The soil was part steep heathy mixed and pasturable mountain.  Part arable with some tillage of oats and potatoes some of the places were middling and some very bad.  There were no antiques in this village.

 

Griffiths valuation

According to Griffiths valuation, Dooletter had 904 acres, 1 rood and 38 perches.  Total valuation for this village was £22.15s.0d.  The immediate lessors for this townland was Earls of Leitrim and Charlemont.  This village had one plot 1.

 

Plot 1 had 904 acres, 1 rood and 38 perches.  This plot was divided into 6 plots labelled a, b, c, d, -, -,. a was owned by Catherine Lyden, b was owned by John Lyden, c was owned by Edmund Lyden, d was owned by Patrick Lyden, – was owned by Anthony Joyce and – was owned by Richard Morrin.  Total valuation for this plot was £22.15s.0d.

 

Plot 1 a Catherine Lyden had a house, office, and land.  The buildings were valued at £0.8s.0d. and the land was valued at £3.7s.0d. Total valuation was 3.15s.0d.

Plot 1 b John Lyden had a house, office, and land.  The buildings were valued at £0.5s.0d. and the land was valued at £2.5s.0d.  Total valuation was £2.10s.0d.

Plot 1 c Edmund Lyden had a house, office, and land.  The buildings were valued at £0.10s.0d. and the land was valued at £6.0.0d.  Total valuation was £6.10s.0d.

Plot 1 d Patrick Lyden had a house, office, and land.  The buildings were valued at £0.5s.0d. and the land was £3.0s.0d.

Plot 1- Anthony Joyce had land valued at £2.5s.0d.  Total valuation was £2.5s.0d.

Plot 1- Richard Morrin had land valued at £4.10s.0d. Total valuation was £4.10s.0d.

 

1901 Census

In 1901, there was three houses in this village and all of them were inhabited.  This village had twelve people living in this village in 1901, eight males and four females.  There was three cow houses and two piggeries in this village in 1901.  The landlord for all these houses in 1901 was Corl. H.J. Clement (sic.)

 

House 1-Martin and Catherine Duffey

Martin (39) and Cathrine (28) Duffey lived in house 1 with their four children.  Their children were Mary (13), William (9), Michael (6) and Peter (1).  Martin was a farmer.  Mary, William, and Michael were scholars.  Martin and Mary read and write, the rest of the household could not read and write.  Peter was too young to talk. Catherine spoke Irish only.  The rest of the household spoke Irish and English.  Everyone in this household was born in Co. Mayo and was Roman Catholic.  They lived in a 2nd class house with two rooms.  They had a cow house and a piggery.  The landlord for this household was Corl. H.J. Clement (sic.).

 

House 2- John and Kate Lydon

John (60) and Kate (58) Lydon resided in house 2 with their servant, John Keane (20).  John (60) was a farmer. John was a farm servant.  John (20) could read and write, the rest of the household could not read or write.  Everyone in this household spoke Irish and English and were Roman Catholic.  They lived in a 3rd class house with one room.  They had a cow house.  The landlord for this household was Corl. H.J. Clement (sic.).

 

House 3- Thomas and Mary Coyne

Thomas (60) and Mary (60) Coyne occupied in house 3 with their son, Martin (20).  Thomas a caretaker. Martin was a farm labourer.  Thomas and Martin could read and write.  Mary could not read and write.  Thomas and Martin spoke Irish and English. Mary spoke Irish only.  Martin was born in Co. Mayo; the rest of the household was born in Co. Galway.  Thomas was C.E. Protestant and the rest of the household was Roman Catholic. The landlord for this household was Corl. H.J. Clement (sic.).

 

Census 1911

Ten years later the census questions were expanded to include the following: Particulars as to Marriage (which included – completed years the present marriage has lasted, children born alive to present marriage, total children born alive to this marriage, and children still living).  There were three houses in this village and all three of these were inhabited.  There were thirteen people living in this village in 1911, there were six males and seven females in this village.  According to the Return of Out-Offices and Farm-Steadings (Form B2) there was five out houses in this village, these out-offices were three cow houses and two piggeries.

 

House 1-Thomas and Mary Coyne

Thomas (78) and Mary (78) Coyne lived in house 1, previously numbered house 3, with their son, Martin (28).  Thomas and Mary were married for 50 years, had seven children and five of them survived.  Thomas was a farmer.  Mary could not read or write , the rest of the household could read and write.  Everyone in this household spoke Irish and English.  Thomas was Church of Ireland.  Mary and Martin were Roman Catholic.  Everyone in this household was born in Co. Galway.  They lived in a 2nd class house with three rooms.  They had a cow house and a piggery.

 

House 2-Martin and Catherine Duffy

Martin (50) and Catherine (40) Duffy resided in house 2, previously numbered house 1, with their six children.  Their children were William (19), Peter (12), Bridget (8), Margaret (6), Julia (4) and Catherine (2).   There was no mention of Mary or Michael in this household in 1911.  Martin and Catherine (Snr.) were married for ten years, had four children and four of them survived.  Martin was a farmer.  Peter and Bridget were scholars. William, Peter, and Bridget could read and write, the rest of the household could not read and write.  Catherine (Snr.) and Catherine spoke Irish only, the rest of the household spoke Irish and English.  Everyone in this household was Roman Catholic.  Martin, Catherine (Snr.), William and Peter were born in Co. Mayo, the rest of the household was born in Co. Galway. They lived in a 2nd class house with three rooms.  They had a cow house and a piggery.

 

House 3- John and Catherine (called Kate in 1901) Lydon

John (65) and Catherine (58) Lydon lived in house 3, previously numbered house 2,.  There was no mention of John Keane in this 1911 census.  John and Catherine were married for 36 years and had no children.  John was a farmer.  Everyone in this household spoke Irish and English and could not read and write.  Both John and Catherine were Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway.  They lived in a 3rd class house with two rooms.  They had a cow house.

This page was added on 05/10/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *