Meaning: Hill of Ross
The Down Survey: The Down Survey of Ireland carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656 is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The Down Survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details being all laid down by admeasurement on maps. The survey sought to define legal property boundaries and measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish in order to facilitate its redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
The Down Survey name for the townland of Rosshill was Rosse. In 1641 (pre-Cromwell) the owner(s) were Moyler McShane McWilliam Shoy (catholic). In 1670 (post Cromwell) it was in protestant ownership of John Brown a protestant. Rosse is in the half barony of Rosse, in the parish of Rosse and is in County Galway. There were four acres of profitable land, and this amount was forfeited.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838: O’ Donovan describes Rosshill as a central townland on the east side of the parish. It is bounded on the north by Lough Mask, on the west by Lough Mask and the townland of Kilbeg Lower, to the south by Clonbur and on the east by Lough Mask. Ross Hill is in the Civil Parish of Cong, in the Barony of Ross and is in Co. Galway.
O’Donovan provides us with several variant forms of spelling for the townland; Ross – hill, CnocRuis, Rosshill (Boundary Surveyors Sketch Map), Rosshill (County Map), Rosshill (Rev. Michael Heraty, P.P.), Rosshill (Local), Rosshill (Meresman), Rosshill (Co. Cess Collector) and Rosshill, (Tithe Ledger).
According to O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838, the proprietor was the Earl of Leitrim and Charlemont (a member of the Clement and Caulfield family). All were in the proprietor’s possession and the agent was Mr. James Fair of Fairhill. The soil is described as good pasture having some plantations. The Co.Cess of 12½d was paid per acre for 46 acres. O’Donovan states that an antiquities ruin of an old abbey with burying ground attached exist in the townland. There are also ruins of a house in which a Clergyman of the Established Church used to officiate when this place belonged to Mr. Birmingham, as there was no other suitable house for that purpose. It is called Gurthnahoglisha.
Griffith’s Valuation 1850: According to Griffith’s Valuation 1850 Rosshill (Ordnance Survey Sheet 27) had an area of 139 acres, 1 rood and 39 perches. The land value at the time was £51 and 6 shillings.
The Earls of Leitrim and Charlemont were the owners. The land had two divisions: Plot 1 and Plot 2 AB.
Plot 1: Anthony Coyne leased 131 acres, 2 roods and 32 perches of land. His total annual valuation of rateable property was £47, and this rent was payable to the Earls of Leitrim and Charlemont
Plot 2 AB: The Earls held 7 acres, 3 roods and 7 perches of plantation land in fee that had a total annual valuation of £3 and 15 shillings.
No online census for the townland of Rosshill.
Add a comment about this page