Translation: Cartron of the pound
The Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey is a cadastral survey of Ireland and was so called simply by its topographic details all laid down by admeasurements on maps. It was carried out by William Petty an English scientist in 1655 and 1656. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish, in order to facilitate its redistribution to merchant adventurers and English officers and soldiers in Oliver Cromwell’s army. It was to repay them and the many English politicians and adventurers who had funded Cromwell’s military campaign in Ireland.
The Down Survey name for this townland was Magherintampull. In 1641 (pre-Cromwell) the owner was Morish Linch [sic] a catholic; in 1670 (post Cromwell) it was still in catholic ownership of Marcus Lynch. It is in the half barony of Rosse (sic) in the parish of Rosse and is in Co. Galway.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838: According to John O’Donovan the standard name for the townland is Pound Cartron and the Irish form of the name is Cartrún that translates as Cartron of the pound.
Other forms of the name: Pound Cartron, Cartrún a phúna, Pound Cartron (Boundary Surveyors Sketch Map), Pound Cartron (County Cess Collector), Pound Cartron (Local), Pound Cartron (Mearsman), Pound Cartron (Rev. Michael Geraghty P.P.).
Description: The proprietor was Thomas Martin, Esq., M.P. (Member of Parliament) London or Ballynahinch. The agent was Mr. Morris and Co. Dublin, and the rent was £38 per year. The soil was part steep heathy rough pasturable mountain and some coarse mixed arable mountain. The County Cess of 11¼d was paid per acre for 39 acres half yearly. A small village called Corthoor ‘Curhoor’ means border. There was formerly a pound on this Cartron into which cattle were driven and hence called Pound Cartron. (A pound was a place of confinement for animals seized either for debt or trespass). There were no antiquities.
Situation: A central townland that is bounded on the north by the townlands of Derreen and Lee; west by Gowlaunalee and to the south and east by Cruckaunawaunia (sic). It is in the barony of Ross and is in Co. Galway.
Griffith’s Valuation 1849: Poundcartron can be found on Ordnance Survey Sheet 25, it has an area of 809 acres and 1 perch. The land value at the time was £22.20.1
The Directors of the Law Assurance Co. held 800 acres, 1rood and 1perch of land. The one lot was divided between 1(a) and 1(b) and each paid an annual rent according to the size and quality of the holding.
1(a): Thomas Coyne had a house, offices and land. His portion of land had an annual valuation of £5 and 5 shillings and the buildings had an annual valuation of 10 shillings. His total annual rent was £5 and 15 shillings.
1(b): Michael Walsh had a house, offices and land. His piece of land had the considerably higher valuation of £21 and the buildings had an annual valuation of 15 shillings. His total annual rent was £21 and 15 shillings.
1901 Census: Poundcartron is in the electoral district of Letterbrickaun in the sub district of Maam, in the barony and parish of Ross, Co. Galway. Constable John Phelan collected the census return on the 4th of April 1901. There was one 3rd class house with a perishable roof that was presumably thatch. Five people lived here, two males and three females. All were Roman Catholic and were born in Co. Galway.
No 1: Martin Joyce (50) his wife Mary (50), their two daughters and one son were the occupants of this house. Martin was a herd; Sarah (19) and Anne (16) were herds daughters and John (15) a herd’s son. None of the family could read; all were bilingual. The house was 3rd class with one window to the front, and five people occupied two rooms. They had a cow house and a piggery on the holding. Richard King was the name of the landholder where the house was situated.
1911 Census: Constable Patrick Henaghan enumerated this census on the 7th of April 1911. A Joyce family remained in house one. Shepherding was the family occupation. There were discrepancies for ages recorded for the family in 1901 and those recorded in 1911. Could they be a different family of Joyce’s?
Ten years on, the census was expanded to include the following: Marriage Particulars / completed years the present marriage has lasted / children born alive to present marriage and children still living.
No 1: Martin Joyce (72) and his wife Mary (70) were married for thirty – eight years and they had five children; two were recorded on this census return. John (30) a single man was a shepherd; Annie (26) a single girl had no occupation listed. Martin’s niece Sarah Halloran (12) was a scholar. Mary and Sarah could read; Martin, John and Annie could not read, all spoke Irish and English. The house was 3rd class with one window in front and five people occupied two rooms. Three outbuildings contained a cow house, a calf house and a piggery. Richard King of Leenane was the name of the landholder where the house was situated.